Author Topic: Diary week ending 8th October  (Read 896 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary week ending 8th October
« on: Wednesday 04 October 23 18:21 BST (UK) »
Well, no one on here this week, where are you all?

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary week ending 8th October
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 October 23 08:21 BST (UK) »
Am I lone ranger this week??

Weather quite bleak today, got my lawn mown yesterday a.though it was a little damp, might be getting towards the time when i can put my mower away

Hope everyone is well

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 23 10:10 BST (UK) »
I posted in the wrong forum L.M.
Just saw Diary and steamed ahead, —-
Off to Bury today to pick up books ,Flash Harry is sooo interested in The Stone Age, in the school syllabus ,Waterstones  have a good one in- Stone  Age Boy - and one on order.

Son off tomorrow to pick up more of his stuff from my daughter’s where it is in store, so he can give F.H,the book.

Raining today, and cool.
Fish and chip shop tea tonight , a nice shop but is not quite as good as it was.
£10 for a single portion ,far too many chips but the fish size which gave two very generous portions is now much reduced.
One of the staff was a pupil at the school where I worked, we did tea towels each year as souvenirs for the children, I have so many,never used .
She mentioned them to my son last time so I have got them out and will show her ,although she does have some of course
She has a sister and their lovely Mum died very young ,it was truly upsetting as she struggled to attend the  Infant Nativity play , they were in it of course .
Oh dear, but they have grown up as nice people.

Well I can use the bus now so off I go into the freezing cold and lashing rain
to hop on a bus. I am so lucky , the stops are really convenient.
Cheerio, Bury here I come ,I can perhaps confirm that b&m are taking over Wilko’s store.
Viktoria.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 23 10:45 BST (UK) »
Well done LM for posting first this week…
Thursday already where does the time go…
Sorry to hear you’re suffering with rain and cold up there in the northern areas of UK…
How thankful I am that we live in South Eastern side of the country!
Today is lovely and sunny, slight nip in the air and the leaves on our Acer are starting to fall..
I am surprised and pleased to see so much colour in the garden still… roses looking good, asters a riot of colour also seedams, fuchsia’s and even the lavender has bees still buzzing round the flowers.
My Chinese lanterns are a real pop of orange … currently fighting a battle with OH as I want to cut them off b4 they go over to use in the wreaths for the Christmas Fayre and he wants me to leave them! So I’m cutting a few at a time so he’ll get used to it…😃.
Tomorrow is our daughters birthday so we’re off down to London to look after the boys so they can go out for a meal…. New windows have been put in over the last fortnight so will see what they look like and no doubt be helping clear up!
We were going to clean the bbq and put it away but looking at the temps over the w/e and early next week we might squeeze a few more out of it!

Hope everyone is ok… miss not hearing from quite a few people and wonder how they’re all doing.
Take care
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 23 13:35 BST (UK) »
I don’t contribute very often but I do follow the diary threads regularly and it is funny how you miss seeing some of the familiar names.

It’s very damp and dull here today.  OH uses the services of a lawn treatment firm and the poor chap was here first thing this morning in the pouring rain.  I should think whatever treatment he put on was washed away.  OH complains the lawn grows too much which makes me chuckle as it didn’t grow as fast and thick when it was full of moss before the treatments.  No pleasing some folk.

All the best

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 October 23 13:59 BST (UK) »
I mowed my lawn yesterday  as I mentioned  earlier,  felt a bit wet although we haven't had rain the last few days, looks OK but does need some sort of treatment but I tell  myself I don't need to mow if for much longer, hopefully in about 3 weeks, but, a friend of mine mowed his lawn every day throughout the year.

My farmer friend is trying to drill  but weather is just not right, they want more rain, gentle rain, not a deluge

Nicer weather today after a bleak start, was thankful as I was at a funeral earlier,  a big family and couple was married 70 years next week, a very emotional funeral starting to with bag pipes.

Pleased some have come onboard, thought I was lone ranger

Lm

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 October 23 15:44 BST (UK) »
Well, I must return, to Bury  that is but tomorrow .
Bought a big side of salmon from the fish market, will do at least four generous pieces or six more modest ones.
Asked for it to be de- boned, I paid with more money than it was so got change ,however was given too much change so said so,” It’s OK,” said the girl who deboned it for me “ Are you sure?” —- I walked away ,got the bus, unpacked and no salmon,I had not picked it up ,distracted re the excess change.
Have phoned up and it is there ,hopefully in the freezer although I would have portioned it before freezing and only had two to defrost for Sunday when son is back.
The alternative is keep it frozen so the cooler bag with me, buy two single portions for Sunday and have the full frozen one when other son and daughter in law  come for a meal with us.
What an air head I am becoming !

Dustbin day tomorrow, I don’t know how I stand the excitement, what with Bury twice in one week and blue bin day to boot !

Well a bit more in the junk - oops! Utility room- to do and it all helps.
Sorted screws from nails yesterday!Honestly, how they got so mixed up I don’t know, it is only since son came!
Today, all the plastic carrier bags I have hoarded need smoothing out and folding neatly ,then vases and ceramic cache pots need a wash and storing more neatly.
Two copper kettles and a brass paraffin lamp, a copper pot which full of holly etc looked lovely at Chr ,a little brass kettle stand I really like ,it is very old ,but—- they are never used of course now  ,so a clean and the Charity shop .
It all looked just right in my old house, :'(

Plumber just called, one radiator is not behaving itself ,not getting hot unless I turn it down and whizz it  back up very quickly, he says it needs a new
valve .
A dying breed,they re did my Victorian kitchen worktops,I had tiles that looked already crazed, alterations done ,and tiles no longer available so they soaked the originals ,got off the adhesive and grout and re- used them .
They do one job and see to other things too,really good.
Took a bath out of my friend’s house , put a shower in.
So a place on the floor with no floor covering, they remembers there had been some spare, my friend had put it under the stairs’ the “ glory hole”, so the plumbers retrieved it and laid it in the bathroom. Then went and got an off cut of something else and put that under the stairs!
All part of the service.
As you can imagine  they are much in demand .
Well things to do and Bury again tomorrow!
Cheerio.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 October 23 18:28 BST (UK) »
Afternoon all
Have been away at daughters helping with the nearly three year old and the new baby. Lovely though tiring time. Need to catch up now on things like grass cutting , dusting, etc. Will manage the dusting but it’s too wet to cut the grass yet.
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 October 23 09:07 BST (UK) »
Morning all
Chilly but bright this morning, I was so comfy I could have stayed in bed this morning  but as usual duty calls,

Viktoria, you are such a busy lady cramming in all you do during tbe day, I think most  have what could  be called "a glory hole" what a strange expression?, mine is under the stairs.

Rumour  has it we are going to have a warm few days,  my farmer friends desperately want rain, the weather pattern over the last few years have changed,  we don't have the same seasons,  the farmers I suppose will  have to adapt.

Hope you have a rest Candleflame after child minding,  it is tiring looking  after children, atvleast we can go home and have a rest.

Have a nice day folks

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London