Author Topic: Diary week ending 8th October  (Read 895 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary week ending 8th October
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 October 23 13:39 BST (UK) »
Back from Bury ,no sign of my salmon which was supposed to be there.
The staff remembered me and insisted I have another side, deboned and totally free !
They were up in price today to £17, I felt awful - I had not picked it up  but had phoned asap, to the market hall manager as soon as I realised I had not .
It is a mystery .
I felt awful and offered at least the excess .but no, so a whole side of fresher salmon free ,well £12 yesterday.
It pays to shop local (ly ),well a bus ride away.
Radiator valve fitted and we will see ,another radiator is temperamental so another valve might be the answer there too.

Got Flash Harry some soft pastels to do ‘cave paintings’, son has left to get to Suffolk later today ,so will give them to F.H.

Now must get busy , no good washing son’s bedding today ,cold and wet.
I might do it tonight in the hope of some dry weather tomorrow.

Need to do some sewing too, if I get the machine out it is for a big sew ,all the backlog etc.

Nice to read your news folks ,thanks.
Viktoria.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 October 23 15:19 BST (UK) »
I'd love to find my lawn - totally waterlogged! Where has all the rain come from?
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 October 23 15:53 BST (UK) »
TFY
You must be up country, I  have watered my front garden  just now, too dry to put winter plants in, same as during the year the ground  was so hot my plants died,  I well watered them but if was underneath that was so hot, I have also cleaned down the patio with the hose, somehow find it therapeutic using a hose but it is a lovely sunny day, shame the nights are drawing in.

Viktoria,  perhaps someone else sold your salmon from the freezer, don't worry to much about it, just one of those things, what a nice man, I like salmon but I am very wary of bones, don't want to be like the Queen mother and get taken to hospital having  swallowed a bone, can happen to the very best of us, bad enough when I thought i had swallowed a dress making pin, expect I hadn't, how embarrassed did I feel?.

I have a real whizzy sewing machine, far to complicated for me, I part exchanged 2  machines, one not very old but it was awful, this one, supposed to be one of the best,   knocks, we only have one sewing machine  mechanic 18 miles away and the only one in our county apparently , I should never have bought it, bring back the treadle machine like I had at school,  umpty eight years ago.

I hope all those suffering rainfall have a brighter weekend

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 October 23 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks L.M, it is really heavy rain here ,East Lancashire.

Had to go round to son’s this afternoon ,he is off down South to get some more of his stuff.
He has a huge wooden  workbench he bought , it is outside and has a plastic cover.That had blown off ,it was saturated.
I braved the rain and covered it up and put some stones etc on to weigh the cover down.Will  have to let it dry off if it is fair weather tomorrow.
He phoned a little while ago to say he had arrived, I told him but I really avoid going in to his house when he is not here,it seems an invasion of his privacy despite him not living there yet.

The fishmongers in Bury’s fish market do take all the pin bones out for you , with big tweezers.
I remember The Queen Mother having a fish bone stuck ,and on another occasion getting a cinder in her eye whilst on the Royal Train to Balmoral .
She was good for the Royal Family, having had a happy family childhood herself.A big family something like seven or eight  children .

Well sewn two bath mats from one big thick towel, not easy ,they were so thick and I forget much of what to do with the machine , however got it
right .That is why I do a lot when the machine is out.
I have a little one ,originally a hand machine converted with a small electric motor and with a light.
I bought that from Tom Simpson’s wife, he was the British racing cyclist who died on Mont Ventoux in the 1967 Tour de France.
A thousand francs, about £10, it served me really well for about 20 years until I bought this Brother, from a catalogue I used to have in
So56 years ago.

Time flies !
Well must get on ,look after yourselves folks.
Rugby not really interesting.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 October 23 20:43 BST (UK) »
Viktoria  hope you enjoyed your salmon.

Been a really nice day today, locally there sounded as if there was a young teenagers pool party, as per usual the girls scream but it is far better than the adults with bad  language sometimes but it was all over by 7 ish.

It seems my local church might be getting a new female curate, she made a point of coming  to talk to everyone before the service, she wasn't introduced  but my  guess is she is seeing how things are before she decides , I hope she says "yes", a young person with a family will be good for our church.

Another week gone.

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 October 23 22:47 BST (UK) »
Yes , thankyou L.M.
Didn’t like the new potatoes though ,done with butter ,chives and some salt  in a plastic bag in the microwave.Yuk!Broccoli,  well just broccoli.
Don’t know why I believe these “ quick fix “ recipes.!
Salmon done with butter,lemon pepper,salt  and bay leaves in a foil parcel.
That was really nice and I have four more portions in the freezer.

On the bus back from church ,the driver ignored my bell to say I wanted the next stop!
I said he had to back up to the stop he had passed, he was not English and seemed a bit bewildered ,so I had mercy on him - but quite a long walk back to the stop nearest my house. >:(

A nice mild day today, sunny too.

Covid on Thursday, then I will book my ‘ Flu one.
Not had my Spring Covid!
Health Centre said they could not get the vaccine, otherwise a long journey - often two buses, what nonsense.

Hope all are well.
Cheerio, Viktoria.