Author Topic: Missing Grandparent  (Read 1091 times)

Offline m444

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Grandparent
« on: Wednesday 04 October 23 23:22 BST (UK) »
I wasn’t sure where would be best to post this so apologies if this is the wrong board.

I was hoping for advice or to be steered into the right direction. My Great Granny Agnes came from a small town in Midlothian, had a son and daughter with different fathers and we’ve only discovered recently the name of her daughters Dad. Any information about the Dad of her son (my Grandad) is still a mystery. My Grandad died before my Great Granny so i never met him to be able to ask myself but from what my family knows, he didn’t know anything either. I’ve done a DNA test on MyHeritage and i’ve struggled to find any relatives of my Grandads paternal line and i’ve really no idea how to find any information or where to even look. My Dad is 51 now and never knew his Grandad so i’m desperate to get an answer for him

Thank you

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Grandparent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 October 23 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Any information about the Dad of her son (my Grandad) is still a mystery.

My Grandad died before my Great Granny

You presumably have his name so have you found his death on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Purchasing a copy of his death cert will give his age/parents names/mothers maiden name

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 23 02:40 BST (UK) »
Unless you are able to provide the names and (birth /death information ) of those who are deceased, it is not going to be possible to even begin to assist.

As already posted - your best resource is Scotlands People.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline m444

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 23 15:48 BST (UK) »
Unless you are able to provide the names and (birth /death information ) of those who are deceased, it is not going to be possible to even begin to assist.

As already posted - your best resource is Scotlands People.

Hi, the problem is i’ve no idea of what his name could be as my Great Granny never told anyone of his fathers name and it isn’t written on his death certificate

Offline m444

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 23 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Any information about the Dad of her son (my Grandad) is still a mystery.

My Grandad died before my Great Granny

You presumably have his name so have you found his death on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Purchasing a copy of his death cert will give his age/parents names/mothers maiden name

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately i dont have his name or any info on him as my Great Granny never told anyone anything which is what i’m trying to find out

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 October 23 16:07 BST (UK) »
Your post is a bit confusing - is this sequence correct?

Your Gt grandmother Agnes had 2 children - a son & a daughter - by 2 different men.

The son - your grandfather - died before his mother Agnes but neither he nor your father knew the name of his biological father.   As Agnes was still alive when her son died  - does his death cert give any fathers name??

Are you saying that the DNA test showed no results whatsoever for who your Great grandfather could be?  No name/location etc

If that's the case & you have absolutely no idea as to his possible identity even after a DNA test - there is no way anybody would be able to find him

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline m444

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 October 23 17:41 BST (UK) »
Your post is a bit confusing - is this sequence correct?

Your Gt grandmother Agnes had 2 children - a son & a daughter - by 2 different men.

The son - your grandfather - died before his mother Agnes but neither he nor your father knew the name of his biological father.   As Agnes was still alive when her son died  - does his death cert give any fathers name??

Are you saying that the DNA test showed no results whatsoever for who your Great grandfather could be?  No name/location etc

If that's the case & you have absolutely no idea as to his possible identity even after a DNA test - there is no way anybody would be able to find him

Sorry for the confusion. Yes you are correct, his death certificate doesn’t give his fathers name. From what i can tell my DNA test hasn’t given any clues to his identity, suppose it will stay a mystery. Thank you for the reply anyhow

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 October 23 18:03 BST (UK) »
You don’t know your grandfathers name, or birth, or death.
You don’t know your great-grandmother’s name, or birth, or death, except she was “Agnes”.
All rather odd.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline m444

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 October 23 18:27 BST (UK) »
You don’t know your grandfathers name, or birth, or death.
You don’t know your great-grandmother’s name, or birth, or death, except she was “Agnes”.
All rather odd.

This is confusing to me. I’m not sure whats odd as i’ve already said i know my Grandads name and birth/death info as well as my great gran’s birth/death dates. What i don’t know is the name, birth and death information of my Grandads father as my Gran Agnes never told anyone and my Grandads fathers name isn’t anywhere on the birth or death certificate