Author Topic: Missing Grandparent  (Read 1090 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Grandparent
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 October 23 18:48 BST (UK) »
Let's start again as I'm as confused as Neale

You know everything about your grandfather - Agnes's illegitimate son - name/birth/death

BUT -  you don't know who his father was as he never knew & Agnes never divulged that information

Has your father taken a DNA test?  If he has - what were the results

If he hasn't - I would strongly recommend he does so

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline m444

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 October 23 19:28 BST (UK) »

You know everything about your grandfather - Agnes's illegitimate son - name/birth/death

BUT -  you don't know who his father was as he never knew & Agnes never divulged that information

Has your father taken a DNA test?  If he has - what were the results

If he hasn't - I would strongly recommend he does so

Yes i know all of my Grandfathers information but i don’t know anything about his father as Agnes (my gran) never told anyone or wrote his fathers name on his birth or death certificate. No my Dad hasn’t taken a DNA test but i will try to get him one soon. Thank you

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 October 23 19:38 BST (UK) »
If Agnes didn't ever reveal who the father of her illegitimate child was, then no amount of looking at documents is going to provide the answer.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 October 23 20:59 BST (UK) »
No, I’m not confused.
I am amused that m444 thinks that without giving the most basic information such as a name, that anyone on the forum could help.
However, now on page 2 of this thread, and still nothing provided, so clearly no point in continuing.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline m444

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 October 23 04:51 BST (UK) »
No, I’m not confused.
I am amused that m444 thinks that without giving the most basic information such as a name, that anyone on the forum could help.
However, now on page 2 of this thread, and still nothing provided, so clearly no point in continuing.

I would have given more information if i thought it was relevant … considering the fact my Grandads fathers name is nowhere on any records i didn’t think it would be of any help, i was only looking for advice on if there would be any possible way i could find out his identity despite not knowing his name but after reading the replies i don’t think this will be possible. I don’t think theres any need to be rude though or to make someone feel stupid for asking for advice i was only hoping for help. You should really speak to others how you’d like to be spoken to