Author Topic: Churchyard inscriptions manuscript for West Hoathly held in WSRO - NAIRN, NUNN  (Read 126 times)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am hoping someone may be able to locate in the WSRO a manuscript:

“Inscriptions in the churchyard of the parish church of West Hoathley in the county of Sussex” copied by J. Harvey Bloom

The WSRO catalogue reference is:

Par 379/4/64
Notebook containing inscriptions in the churchyard, (contains no tombs later than 1870), copied 1935

The catalogue contains a second entry that seems to refer to this work:

MF 2056 in the Microfilm and Microfiche collection
Includes multiple churches including:
West Hoathly Par 379/4/64 c. 1875, Anon, Chyd

This seems to indicate the original document was produced in 1875 and copied in 1935 by J. Harvey Bloom.

Within this document I am looking for the tombstone inscriptions of Fasham NAIRN (1731-1810) who was buried at West Hoathly on 3 Nov 1810 from Barnetts Place.

There are at least three people buried in the tomb:

1.   A Friend (possibly Charlotte NUNN, buried 16 Jul 1802) for whom Fasham NAIRN built the tomb
2.   Fasham NAIRN himself
3.   A 5 week old infant also named Fasham NAIRN who died 29th March 1823.

The infant is the great great nephew of the elder Fasham Nairn.   There is a large wall monument to the infant inside St Margaret's church.  I have photos of this and the tomb in the churchyard.

The tomb seems to have originally had three marble inscription tablets attached with metal pins to the two ends and one of the long sides.  Only one tablet survives – that of the elder Fasham Nairn - and is now illegible.  From an old photograph it read:

In this Tomb
Are deposited the Remains of
FASHAM NAIRN
Of Barnetts Place
In this parish [….]
Who died the [27th] day of Octr 1810
Aged […] [years]

If the document can be located and this tomb was recorded in 1875 there is a good chance all three inscriptions may still have been extant.  If so, and the third person is not Charlotte NUNN, then could a search also be made for her inscription, if any.

There is a microfilm of the manuscript in the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, but it has not been digitised.

Thanks in anticipation.