Author Topic: Backing up entire contents of laptop to portable SSD device?  (Read 423 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Backing up entire contents of laptop to portable SSD device?
« on: Thursday 05 October 23 11:33 BST (UK) »
I’m going on holiday this Saturday, and will hopefully be getting some nice photos of churches and villages connected with some of my ancestors. I’m taking my laptop with me (I’ve never taken it with me before) to enable me to work on a book I’m writing (not FH), and hopefully process some of my photos too. Just in case the laptop should be stolen from my car or holiday cottage, I’d like to back everything up and leave a copy of my laptop’s contents (including all programs) at home. I have two 1 TB SSD storage devices. Could anyone please tell me how to do this? (I think my laptop has a 250 GB SSD and a 1 TB hard drive (probably only half-full at present).

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Backing up entire contents of laptop to portbale SSD device?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 October 23 12:31 BST (UK) »
Without knowing your operating system it's hard to provide detailed instructions on how to do this, but the first thing to say is that you only really need to backup your data files. There's no point in copying the operating system or any installed programs assuming that you have the software on discs or they came ready installed on the laptop. I am  assuming that the external drives have a USB connection and that your laptop can accept USB. These days just plugging in the USB connector and making sure the external drive is powered up is all you need to do to get your laptop to recognise the external device (I suggest only plugging in one to start with). Then if you know where all your data files are located, navigate there and having selected the top most directory containing the relevant data (possibly something like My Documents in Windows),  right click copy or the equivalent if you have Mac, then navigate back to the external device and paste the data to it. The process will replicate your file structure on the external device, making it easier to find the backed up files should you need to.  You will probably find that one external drive will hold all your data, but if not you may have to split the data between the two external drives, for instance your family history stuff on one drive and all your correspondence and manuscript of your book on the other. You should also copy over any lists of logins and passwords which are stored locally on the laptop. These will be stored within your browser's files, so if you look in the help files for your browser it should tell you how to do this. Depending on how your email is configured, you might also want to back up all your email addresses - again check with your email provider for details. I would also backup your list of internet bookmarks (called Favorites or Internet shortcuts in Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge) - again found in your browser's settings.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Backing up entire contents of laptop to portable SSD device?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 23 13:01 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help, Andy. I’m using Windows 10 (seems to do everything I need it to, so I’ve resisted prompts from Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 11, just in case any of my photo programs are incompatible with it). I’ll do as you suggest. I’m just wondering whether I would need to back up a program like my version of DxO PhotoLab 5 (perfect for my needs, and still supported by DxO, even though they are about to launch version 7, I think), or my older Photoshop Elements 2019 (again, does everything I need). I don’t have either on CD, because they were bought as internet downloads. If I lost my laptop, I’m not sure how I’d find my DxO password to prove to them who I am, should I need to re-download the program.

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 23 14:53 BST (UK) »
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-full-backup-windows-10

Is that any help? (I don't use windows)

Boo

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 23 16:45 BST (UK) »
Davedrave.

Yes it would certainly be sensible to copy those two programs, but bear in mind that if you are unlucky enough to have your laptop stolen, whatever you replace it with will not have the correct registry settings so the programs may not work on a new machine, especially if the new machine comes with Windows 11 pre-installed. The data on the other hand should still open without a problem unless it's in some proprietary format (eg Photoshop .psd or Nikon NEF etc). I'm not familiar with DxO PhotoLab. However if all you images are jpeg or png for example, there will be no problem with them.
Tickettyboo's link looks helpful, but you definitely don't need the system backing up if you are only worried about losing your laptop, as opposed to suffering a component failure with the current laptop. A full system back up would mean that you could restore the back up to the same machine after repair. As it is good advice to backup for all eventualities, and providing you have enough space on the exterior drives, an automated full backup might provide belt and braces.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 October 23 22:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to both of you for the extra advice and explanations. I’ll do as you suggest.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 October 23 22:49 BST (UK) »
I would suggest a dual approach.

Backup your entire hard drive to the SSD.

Normally files and folders are contained within the My Documents folder.

I would make a full copy of the My Documents folder to the SSD.

Backup apps and systems encrypt and compress the data, and the same software is needed to decode the Backed up drive.

By Copying the entire My Documents folder you will have all your files in their original format.

Then in the future you could use Free File Sync or similar software to Compare the contents of the My Documents folder on the Laptop with the contents of the My Documents folder on the SSD and the results show what has changed, you then select the Mirror Sync option from Laptop to SSD and run it.  On completion the to locations are in Sync with each other in the original file formats.

I have been using this software for many years and recently changed my old Win 10 PC to a new Win 11 PC which only has SSD’s so all I had to do was install the software that I wanted and copy the My Docs folder off my external storage device to the SSD in my new PC, an easy and simple task.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 October 23 23:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Biggles, this sounds very intersting and I’ll follow up on it,