Author Topic: Strange surname  (Read 945 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Strange surname
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 October 23 19:32 BST (UK) »
Here is an example  but might not be the right time frame, perhaps?

1st July 1836, Ennismagrath
Peter McPaden - parents Michl McPaden and Biddy Curneen.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634852#page/22/mode/1up

I can’t spot any others though.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 October 23 21:14 BST (UK) »
How about the following theory: that the Christian name and surname have been reversed?
That that the Christian name is Catrina and variants. Misheard and spelled with a Y.
That the surname is something like Curnan/Curran and variants.

Edited : Actually, I see Heywood got there first, but he buried his speculation in the body of a reply!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 October 23 21:34 BST (UK) »
 Well, it’s good to know I am not on my own. :)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 October 23 21:37 BST (UK) »
Well, it’s good to know I am not on my own. :)

Well, I'll go for the "Great minds think alike" theory, rather than the alternative!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 October 23 02:12 BST (UK) »
Just putting an outsider's point of view I think that both Heywood and Wexflyer fit into the 'great minds think alike'  category..... ;D

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 October 23 06:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you shanreagh.  ;)

m444,
Unfortunately I don’t think your family feature in those parish records - the years covered are very limited.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0830
I came across another marriage with the two surnames, so they are local names.

Here is your thread where I saw reference to Innismagrath - the last post by dublin 1850.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=866033.0

As you can see, there is speculation re ‘Inch’ which might well have been given as an abbreviated ‘Innish…’

In your case here, the two surnames may have been given first and the mother’s first name afterwards - hence the mix up.

What do you think, m444?

Offline m444

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 October 23 09:10 BST (UK) »
Did you ever check the 1861 census page for place of birth which may be Leitrim - transcribed as ‘Leibrin’?

I believe they were Catholic, i have tried to find some record showing they were from Leitrim but have been unable to find anything. My only guess is that because their marriage date and children's birth dates were between 1839 up to 1860, there would be little records of them available. Thank you so much for your thoughts as well as the others that have replied, really appreciate it

Offline m444

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 October 23 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you shanreagh.  ;)

m444,
Unfortunately I don’t think your family feature in those parish records - the years covered are very limited.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0830
I came across another marriage with the two surnames, so they are local names.

Here is your thread where I saw reference to Innismagrath - the last post by dublin 1850.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=866033.0

As you can see, there is speculation re ‘Inch’ which might well have been given as an abbreviated ‘Innish…’

In your case here, the two surnames may have been given first and the mother’s first name afterwards - hence the mix up.

What do you think, m444?

A while ago i was wondering a similar theory, if the name was misheard and spelt wrongly. Though yours makes a lot more sense than mine, thank you again

Offline m444

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 October 23 09:16 BST (UK) »
How about the following theory: that the Christian name and surname have been reversed?
That that the Christian name is Catrina and variants. Misheard and spelled with a Y.
That the surname is something like Curnan/Curran and variants.

Edited : Actually, I see Heywood got there first, but he buried his speculation in the body of a reply!

I believe you’re right, thank you so much for the help :)