Author Topic: Ginnelly/McGinley  (Read 447 times)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Ginnelly/McGinley
« on: Friday 06 October 23 23:11 BST (UK) »
There is a family tree on My Heritage which includes a record of a Mayo woman marrying a man called Ginnelly, but the source is an image of the marriage licence and the man's name is clearly shown as McGinley. It also says that his father was called McGinley - unsurprisingly.

I do not know whether Mr McGinley was originally from Ireland but at the time of the marriage he was a shopkeeper in Glasgow. Can anyone tell me whether McGinley is a Scottish version of Ginnelly or whether, by implication, the owner of the tree has made a mistake?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ginnelly/McGinley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 October 23 12:23 BST (UK) »

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 October 23 16:47 BST (UK) »
What timescale?  There are lots of trees with incorrect info. 

What surname were they under on the various censuses - Ginnelly or McGinley?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 October 23 21:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link Sinaan. it seems to show that the names are from the same root, so the groom may have come from Ireland originally and perhaps then used a version that he felt more comfortable with in his new home.  I'm not really interested in the groom. It's his wife who may be connected to me.

CaroleW. I don't know because the tree does not give census sources, only the marriage certificate which might have contradicted the name in the tree. The bride was born in Mayo. She was the reason I found the tree, but like so many, she moved to Scotland to marry her Mr.McGinley. 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 October 23 23:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link Sinaan. it seems to show that the names are from the same root, so the groom may have come from Ireland originally and perhaps then used a version that he felt more comfortable with in his new home.  I'm not really interested in the groom. It's his wife who may be connected to me.

CaroleW. I don't know because the tree does not give census sources, only the marriage certificate which might have contradicted the name in the tree. The bride was born in Mayo. She was the reason I found the tree, but like so many, she moved to Scotland to marry her Mr.McGinley.

If you read the John Grenham link you will find that Mac/Mc Ginnley is actually not unknown in Ireland, and that it is not unknown for members  of the same wider families to have different spellings of the same name depending on the emigration patterns and the vagaries of hearing interpretation by officials

When you say 'she moved to Scotland to marry her Mr.McGinley' do you mean that he moved first and she followed ie that they were known to each other prior to both ending up in Scotland?

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 October 23 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi shanreagh

I don't know how they knew each other. The addresses on the licence give his as Glasgow and hers as Morpeth, N'land, so you'd wonder how they got together unless they knew each other beforehand.

Tony

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 October 23 19:09 BST (UK) »
What time period are you looking at?

Do you have them on a census? If so, where was Mr McGinley born?
Do you have their fathers or parents names?

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 October 23 21:08 BST (UK) »
The marriage was in 1914. I wondered whether it was one of those marriages that was hastened because of the war. I have not however looked any further into these two people.

To be honest it is a bit peripheral to my main research objective which is currently Irish emigres in the USA during the late 19th/early 20th centuries, but the bride's name - Meenaghan - occurs a few times in my paternal matches' trees, especially matches not in the USA. So I looked to see if she might be relevant and when I saw that the online tree she is in, has her husband as a Patrick Ginnelly, but the attached licence image quite clearly called him and his father McGinley, I was curious about the accuracy of the tree. Hence my question, because while I am genetically half Irish, I was born and have spent my whole life in England, so know very little about Irish names (learning fast though!).

Tony

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 October 23 21:33 BST (UK) »
My husband has Meenaghan/Minaghan/Monaghan occurring in several of his DNA contacts trees - lots of spelling variations.