Author Topic: Ginnelly/McGinley  (Read 445 times)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Re: Ginnelly/McGinley
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 October 23 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood. I have PM'd you.

Offline AntAM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 October 23 02:19 BST (UK) »
I think I may be able to contribute some useful info. Looking at the marriage record to which TonyV refers, it shows the groom as Joseph McGinley, Master Grocer, aged 38, of 3 Hospital Street in Glasgow whose parents were John McGinley, Farmer and Winifred McGinley m.s. Philbin. The bride was Honorie Meenaghan, a cook/domestic servant, aged 27, usually residing in Morpeth, England..parents were John Meenaghan, Farmer, and Mary Meenaghan m.s. Devitt.

I believe this record has two typos, the first being McGinley which should say Ginnelly, and Devitt, which should say Davitt. I am fairly confident in saying so for they all relate to me and come from a Townland called Rinnashinnagh (now called Foxpoint) near Barnatra in Mayo, Ireland.

Joseph was born on 8 Dec 1875, Honorie 1886. Joseph had (at least) 4 siblings....Mary, Ellen (Ellin), Ann and Martin.

I have evidence the registrar in Glasgow either wasn't very literate or spelt names phonetically as the name said in a strong Irish accent sounded to him. (Add an um before Ginnelly and you can imagine it sounding like McGinley.) This said, it may be he was happy to have the Mc added to his name so it sounded more Scottish in an effort to overcome the rampant discrimination taking place against the Irish at the time. I doubt it though for they were both back living in Mayo by January 1915 when they had their daughter Mary. (They also had other children including a son called Michael Ginnelly). Hope this helps

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 October 23 22:44 BST (UK) »
Well spotted AntAM and thanks for the additional information. I have PM'd you about your connections to the Meenaghan families in Rinnashinnagh and Gortmelia.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 October 23 23:16 BST (UK) »
AntAM

I tried to PM you but it was rejected with the message that your inbox is full.

Tony

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 October 23 07:30 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, AntAM  :)

AntAM

I tried to PM you but it was rejected with the message that your inbox is full.

If AntAM makes at least one more post, he/she can use the PM system to make contact with you.

See https://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline AntAM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 October 23 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the heads up Kiltaglassan, it is appreciated.