Author Topic: Samuel & Elizabeth Hopkins on the Isle of Man 1828  (Read 250 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel & Elizabeth Hopkins on the Isle of Man 1828
« on: Saturday 07 October 23 02:24 BST (UK) »
Hello, my ancestors Samuel and Elizabeth Hopkins had a son baptised on the Isle of Man in 1828. His name was William Johnson George Hopkins and he was baptised on 26 May 1828 at Lezayre. The census however states he was born in Douglas.

The father Samuel is known to have been a tiler, then a colour man, a painter and also a glazier. He moved around a bit, being born in Curry Rivel in Somerset, married in London and before the Isle of Man was in Bristol and Liverpool before returning to Bristol, then London again where he died in 1858.

I assume he moved due to his trade and I am trying to find out more about his time on the Isle of Man as I am visiting on Monday. Was there a lot of building work going on in Lezayre at this time?

Also, it is possible to see the original baptism entry anywhere, in case it has additional information on it that has not been transcribed? I have read the church was built in 1835, but this baptism i2 from before that time, so was there a temporary church in place?

I know the family were in Liverpool around 1825 to 1827, then the Isle of Man in 1828, but the next record for them is the 1841 census when they were in Bristol. So how long were the Hopkins family on the Isle of Man?

If anyone please has any ideas or suggestions on where to look to find out more, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you,
Jon

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel & Elizabeth Hopkins on the Isle of Man 1828
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 October 23 02:56 BST (UK) »
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 October 23 03:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much indeed Neale, much appreciated. Sorry for the late response!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 October 23 07:22 BST (UK) »
The Manx Museum Library would be the place to go. But please note that the library is closed Sunday through Tuesday.

More information can be found in ManxNoteBook (Lezayre page here: http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/parishes/le/index.htm).

Pigot's Directory of 1837 says:
LEZAYRE (or CHRIST-LEZAYRE) parish is in the sheading of Ayre and northern division of the Isle ; it is of considerable extent, being seven miles in length from N. to S and five in breadth from E.to W. The parish church is situate two miles west from Ramsey, on the south side of the main road-the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the crown. The northern part of this district is composed of fine rich land, and presents some respectable mansions to the eye of the traveller; the rest is mountainous and sterile, the most southern portion being occupied by the lofty Snafield, the highest elevation in the island, overlooking the surrounding sea, and embracing within its horizon the slopes of the neighbouring countries.

SULBY, the only village worthy of notice in Lezayre Parish, consists of a few houses ranged on the side of the main road to Ramsey, four miles west of that town, and contains an extensive brewery and a corn-mill Two fairs are annually held at this village; one takes place on the 4th June the other on the 23d July

In those days, Ramsey didn't have a parish church - Maughold church was used.
So, the Hopkins may have been in Ramsey?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)