Author Topic: Looking for the death of George Gordon Wise  (Read 601 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for the death of George Gordon Wise
« on: Saturday 07 October 23 03:22 BST (UK) »
Really don't know what happened to this man, but he is NOT the George Gordon Wise who died in 1869, Victoria with parents George & Ellen

George Gordon Wise born 3rd Jan1823 in Tasmania to George and Elizabeth Day. Married Mary Sanders or Saunders in Adelaide 1847. Divorced 1868. appears to have been living in Victoria in 1867. Incorrectly noted as deceased on daughter Amy's marriage registration. A colourful life, lived in WA, SA, VIC and also Java, Indonesia. can anyone find his death? not memorialised on any of his children's graveyard details.
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the death of George Gordon Wise
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 October 23 05:22 BST (UK) »
MARRIED.
By special license, on the 10th instant, at St John's Church, by the Rev. W. J. Woodcock, Mr George Gordon Wise, eldest son of Mr Wise, of the late firm of Wise & Day, Hobart Town, to Mary, fourth daughter of John Sanders, Esq., of Exeter, England

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/71608527

Do you know when his parents died and if they left a will which might mention him??

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 October 23 10:28 BST (UK) »
i did look for their deaths, and surprisingly, little was said in TROVE. Elizabeth was just a 'very old lady who died'  a few years after her husband. I have not found a Will that mentions George Gordon Wise. He appears to have been estranged from all his family.

This is a real puzzel and I would love to solve it!

thanks for yur reply
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 October 23 20:45 BST (UK) »
When and where is the last sighting you have for him?

Occupation?

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 October 23 23:24 BST (UK) »
the last was just after his daughters wedding, when there is a family memory that he was upset he had not been invited. there is a mention in a business directly 1868 - but its unclear what his business was!
He had been in the police force, and a border police officer (finding run-away convicts). he had been a teacher at a school in Adelaide. He wrnt to Burma for a few years - he seems to have been a manager, but I am unsure.
there are very few mentions of him after his time in the border police.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 October 23 23:31 BST (UK) »
I'm assuming this is his daughter's marriage announcement?

The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954) 
Fri 27 Dec 1867

STEAINS—WISE.—On the 24th inst., at St. Peter's Church, by the Rev. H. H. P. Handfield, George James Steains, to Amy Louise, only daughter of George Gordon Wise, Esq., of this city.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/185507540

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 October 23 00:08 BST (UK) »
His not an easy fella to find. I have some spare time this afternoon so will have another look then.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 October 23 01:11 BST (UK) »
the last was just after his daughters wedding, when there is a family memory that he was upset he had not been invited. there is a mention in a business directly 1868 - but its unclear what his business was!
He had been in the police force, and a border police officer (finding run-away convicts). he had been a teacher at a school in Adelaide. He wrnt to Burma for a few years - he seems to have been a manager, but I am unsure.
there are very few mentions of him after his time in the border police.

If you think he went to Burma, then is it not possible he died there?
It might be challenging to locate a death there at that time.

It seems odd that he would place several notices in the newspaper about the marriage of his daughter but not be invited. Did the brides of those times actually have an option re inviting parents.   .
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 October 23 01:19 BST (UK) »
The divorce papers (which are on Ancestry) give much detail about their lives and where they were at different times, which I'm sure familysleuth has seen. For others, after WA they went to Madras then to Rangoon where he was in the rice trade (but "failed") and Mary returned to Melbourne in 1859, with her husband joining her in 1860. I think it says he was then working for the Public Works.
They separated in Dec 1866, and divorced in 1868.

There is mention of Mary's cousin - Martha Mary MURRAY (wife of D'arcy Wentworth MURRAY). Is it possible George and Martha stayed together? Have you found what happened to her after 1866?