Author Topic: Photographs of Servicemen in local newspapers - Help please  (Read 698 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Photographs of Servicemen in local newspapers - Help please
« on: Saturday 07 October 23 09:56 BST (UK) »
Back in 2010 I asked for assistance of the photograph restorers to get a better image of my Grandfather James Joseph Carson's Military photo in the local paper.  The restorers did a great job.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=450976.0

Does anyone know where these photographs would have been stored at the time and where they would eventually have been archived?  Were they held by the local newspapers, by the Regiment or in a central location?  These photos don't appear to have been kept with the soldiers service record.  Maybe its as simple as approaching or visiting the Lancashire Records Office.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Kit

Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs of Servicemen in local newspapers - Help please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 October 23 11:21 BST (UK) »
There could be three sources for this sorts of photograph.

The first is a photographer paid for by the War Office who then distributed to copies to the relevant local newspapers for publication, in which case the photograph would have been subject to Crown copyright. It is possible, although I think it's a very slim chance, that the original may be archived somewhere in the National Archives. Added. It is also possible that his Regiment arranged for a photographer to take the pictures, for publicity purposes. If that was the case, the Regimental Museum might be the best place to look for any surviving copies.

The second possibility is that the local newspaper sent their own photographer round when the soldier was home on leave, possibly to attend an award ceremony in his regiment's home town. In the latter case the copyright would belong to the newspaper and may have survived in their archive. Even though the newspaper and its publisher will probably be long gone now, it is highly likely that their archives have survived. These things were bought up along with the newspaper titles, by other publishers, and you can often trace their lineage forward to companies like Archant or National World plc today. They probably won't have maintained the physical archive of photographs from a century ago, and will have transferred them to a picture library such as Gale or the Mary Evans Picture Library where they continue to be monetised. The local county archives is also a possible place to search, but given that newspaper archives had real economic value they tend not to be just given away to a public archive.

And the third possibility is that it is a photograph which the family supplied when asked by the newspaper. However, looking at the newspaper photo of your grandfather, I don't think that was the source of his photograph. The style looks editorial rather than social.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 October 23 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

I really appreciate your well set out response.

Lots to consider then.  I'll try and research on the options provided and see where I get.

Best,

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Online Kingsclere

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 12:53 BST (UK) »
Did you know that there are 2 newspaper articles for him available in the https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Might be a better photo than you've got.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kingsclere,

Typical, my FindMyPast Pro membership lapsed at the end of June.  I'll need to consider whether I can afford to take another membership at the moment.

Best,

Kit

Online Kingsclere

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 13:55 BST (UK) »
BNA or even FindMyPast may be free in your library. Or register with BNA for first 3 pages for free.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 14:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks, unfortunately not in Scotland I think.

Kit

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 14:42 BST (UK) »
Kit I had free BNA in Australia.  Of course only scratched the surface, but have a try.
Australian libraries also have free access.  My local library has Ancestry, Find my past and BNA library editions.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 14:52 BST (UK) »
Did you know that there are 2 newspaper articles for him available in the https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Might be a better photo than you've got.

Though there are articles about his DCM on those pages, unfortunately none of the photos on the pages are of this man

Boo