Author Topic: Photographs of Servicemen in local newspapers - Help please  (Read 700 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs of Servicemen in local newspapers - Help please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 16:41 BST (UK) »
I'll certainly look into that.  I just wasn't sure that I could do it as I've had subscriptions before.

Worth checking tho.

thanks

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Kingsclere

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 21:47 BST (UK) »
I found a third page that may have the photo….

Published: Friday 11 January 1918
Newspaper: St. Helens Newspaper & Advertiser

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/BL/0001835/19180111/105/0005?browse=False

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 October 23 09:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no. That page has him in a list of men who are reported as having been wounded.

The photo that Kit has says he was awarded the M.M. and the D.C.M. I looked in the Gazette and his Military Medal was in listed in there in the edition of 25 Sept 1917 Edition 30312, page 10023 (the citation which says "His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to award the Military Medal for bravery in the field to the Mentioned Ladies, Non Commissioned Officers and Men' is a couple of pages before that one.
So the photo was probably published round about then.

EDIT Sorry the pages Kingsclere referred to earlier were showing that he was awarded the DCM and they were dated 12th Feb, so the photo would possibly be sometime around Feb/Mar ?

I looked at the St Helens library site and they do seem to have a few more local papers than are available online for the time frame.

https://www.sthelens.gov.uk/media/4818/St-Helens-Archive-Service-newspaper-guide/pdf/St_Helens_Archive_Service_-_Newpaper_Guide.pdf?m=638320222228770000

Boo