Author Topic: Photographs of Servicemen in local newspapers - Help please  (Read 697 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs of Servicemen in local newspapers - Help please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 15:23 BST (UK) »
Always worth a try I suppose Nanna.

Boo, many thanks for checking over the Newspaper and for confirming there are no images of my granddad.  He died before I was born.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 15:40 BST (UK) »
Have now looked at the previous thread. When you got the image from the microfilm at the library did you take a note of the newspaper name and date? If so post it here and I can look and see if the online version is maybe any better?

Boo

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 15:55 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately not.  It would have been one of the local newspapers around Lancashire and St Helens.  I'll try and spend some time going though my boxes of papers and my note pad may turn up.  Thanks for your interest and help.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 15:55 BST (UK) »
Why do I always forget a bit?

In case the particular newspaper isn't online, do you still have the original photos you took?

The folk on the Photo Restore Board are magicians, but they do need a reasonable size image to work with to get the best results. We are allowed to post an image of up to 500kb, the one you posted was 20kb so not a lot for them to work with.

If you still have the original photo I can PM you with an email address, send me the photo and I'll have a go at resizing it for you to see if we can perhaps supply them with something with a bit more detail?

Boo

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 16:12 BST (UK) »
I remember a similar post on here where the OP was advised that there would only be a photo of a soldier in a newspaper, was if the Family provided it.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hey Boo, I think I was using a Samsung then and now on an IPhone so unless I kept the Sim Card, I doubt it :-(

Carol - that's interesting.  Unfortunately, there is no one left to ask.

Kit

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 16:28 BST (UK) »
The best advise that I can offer, would be to look for matching trees on Ancestry, you may get lucky  ;)

I have one photo of an Ancestor who was in the navy and got a photo of his ID card. That was on Findmypast.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 16:30 BST (UK) »
That's interesting.  Maybe I will look at the cost of a subscription for Christmas (sorry to use that word in October!!!)

Kit

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 16:35 BST (UK) »
Why not look for a free trial, then cancel before the freebie expires.  :D
Carol