Author Topic: Age on Death Certificate  (Read 357 times)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Age on Death Certificate
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 October 23 21:30 BST (UK) »
Chris - the first number is certainly a 6 although the 7 is less clear.  Sellotape does end to cause difficulties in reading what's under it!  ::)
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 October 23 22:14 BST (UK) »
About the only things certain on a marriage certificate are the date and where the marriage took place. Everything else should be taken with a pinch of salt, until verified from other sources.

The same can be said of birth certificates. As has already been said, ages  on death certificates can be particularly unreliable, it depends on the knowledge of the informant, especially if they were not next of kin.

I have examples of all types of certificates, some in the mid twentieth century,  with false information to my certain knowledge.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 October 23 22:28 BST (UK) »
I see 75 too, but the given relies on the accuracy of the Informant.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 October 23 16:18 BST (UK) »
...Interestingly, he may have also understated it in the 1939 Register. As an aside, it's quite a difficult one:

The subject's true age in 1939 was 77, but does this look like 67?

Remember that that column in the 1939 Register records the year of birth (last two digits) rather than the age, so if he was 77, that should be showing 61 or 62. I'm leaning towards 61, though as his birth month was July (I think), 62 would fit better.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 October 23 16:35 BST (UK) »
...Interestingly, he may have also understated it in the 1939 Register. As an aside, it's quite a difficult one:

The subject's true age in 1939 was 77, but does this look like 67?

Remember that that column in the 1939 Register records the year of birth (last two digits) rather than the age, so if he was 77, that should be showing 61 or 62. I'm leaning towards 61, though as his birth month was July (I think), 62 would fit better.

Thanks, and well spotted! Yes, I looked again at the full 1939 Register page and that should be the year of birth. His birth date was 31st July 1862, so perhaps no falsification there - assuming it's not '67' in the Register. There's a definite 'inaccuracy' on the wedding certificate though:

Allonby, Burns, Ibison, Park