Author Topic: Ancestors of James Johnstone Carruthers born 1845 Scotland  (Read 424 times)

Offline Breiver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors of James Johnstone Carruthers born 1845 Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 October 23 05:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for you replies James Johnstone is my great grandfather what Im really looking for is his grandparents. James Johnstone father was born 1803 if you believe the 1851 census that states his age as 48 . My line is  James Johnstone -James Robert- Ronald Harold to me. I would be really interested if some of you replying are relatives and how far into the past any of you have gone. I am a member of Clan Carruthers Society Australia and other Carruthers Clan groups

Offline Breiver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 October 23 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi I should have added I knew about the information that has been posted and many thanks for that. The reason for wanting this info is I have been told that I had his father wrong I had his  grandparents being William and Mary Calvert if this had of been correct I was back into the 1400's so I have to start again    Hope that makes sense

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 October 23 14:02 BST (UK) »
…I have been told that I had his father wrong I had his  grandparents being William and Mary Calvert
Yes these names are wrong, but if you get the death certificate for James (as I have posted earlier), you will get the correct names. :)
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 October 23 00:52 BST (UK) »
I am responding to several personal messages sent by Breiver.

Firstly, can I suggest in the spirit of this forum, it is best to post questions and other details on the thread you have created, and then all forum members are able to assist.

There is confusion regarding the age of James Carruthers, but it is quite usual for ages to vary a little between census records.

In the 1841 census – the ages were rounded down, and therefore are approximate, which is why it is not exactly the same as in the 1851 census.

The 1861 census (91 Dale Street, Bridgeton) gives you the following information. This is available from Scotlands People.
James Caruthers, Head, age 56, born Kirkpatrick, spirit merchant
Margaret Caruthers, wife, 37, born Kilmarnock
Mary 22 daughter, born Glasgow, cotton weaver
Margaret 17 daughter, born Glasgow, ditto
James 15 son, born Glasgow, shop ass.
Janet 13 daughter, born Glasgow, scholar
George 7 son, born Glasgow, ditto
William 5 son, born Glasgow, ditto
John 3 son, born Pollockshaws, Renfrew

(There was another child, Martha Carruthers born in 1862 who appears on the 1871 census with her mother and step-father)

No, James’s wedding record from 1843 which was before civil registration, will NOT give you his parents’ names.
You may want to look at the marriage record for his 1st marriage in 1825, in case there is any detail there which might be useful. (Note - he was old enough to marry in 1825, indicating that he was probably born before 1804)

However his DEATH CERTIFICATE will give you more information. Once again, I draw your attention to my reply #8 where I have given you details for this document. You will need to obtain this through Scotlands People.
We know James in 1861 was living in Bridgeton, and he was alive in 1862 (birth of daughter Martha). We also know his widow remarried in 1866, so the death registration in Bridgeton from 1864 fits quite well.

His death certificate will confirm his wife as Margaret Armour. She is the informant at his death, and gives information that she knows about his parents.

I will leave it up to you to pursue this further as you wish.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 October 23 06:48 BST (UK) »
You may like to enquire on the Scotland board of Rootschat, giving a link to this enquiry so that people can see what has already been found.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/scotland/

There are also R'chat boards for specific Scottish counties.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk