Author Topic: Mary Jane Smith death 1891 Easingham  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jane Smith death 1891 Easingham
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 20:20 BST (UK) »
Tks...how interesting.   Yes, could very well be that Henry Smith (I wonder what his real name was) was born in Prussia as was Mary Jane's brother in law Charles J. Brandt.    Her younger sister Eleanor married Charles J. Brandt in 1850; so 2 years before Mary Jane married Henry Smith.  Mary Jane was probably introduced to Henry Smith through her sister.  I love it!  Charles was a Master Mariner and Naval Sea Pilot. Eleanor and Charles parted ways and according to my research Charles died in Falmouth, Cornwall in 1884.  Eleanor and Charles had several children and I have followed them all (and hoping for DNA matches too).

BTW - no luck with the Easington death certificate.  It came through sooner that I thought.  Mary Jane Smith was the widow of Thomas Smith.

Thank you for the newspaper announcement re Mary Jane..yes I have details of her father John Bell living in Victoria Villa.  So we are spot on there.

1871 census and 'Durham Directory'.  So she dropped the name 'Mary' and just used 'Jane'.  Thanks so very much.  Maybe she had also separated from her husband and earned a living on her own.  More to do.  Thanks again.

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 October 23 08:27 BST (UK) »
Good luck with the certificate.
Sorry, I was just rambling about the difficulty in finding Smith deaths.
There is a partial transcription of the 1853 marriage online, with Henry aged 38
Also the marriage allegation
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6SMQ-BP6

And newspaper announcements of the marriage in July 1853
At Bishopwearmouth, on the 13th inst., Captain Henry Smith to Mary Jane, eldest daughter of Mr J. Bell, Victoria Villa.

If Mary Jane's brother in law was Charles Julius Brandt, born Prussia, was Henry born in Prussia as well? In the UK and Ireland, Masters and Mates Certificates on ancestry there is -
Henry Smith, born 1813, Memiel, Prussia, certificates issued Sunderland in 1852.

Still haven't found a death for him, you would think it would be in the newspapers in the north east, even a Newcastle one perhaps.

Bonus content!
1873 Durham Directory, Stockton on Tees
Mrs Jane Smith, shopkeeper, at 11 Bone Street (as per 1871 census)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-R321-TFJK

Is there any way I could check for her up to 1880 in the Durham Directory, Stockton on Tees?  I've tried but can't seem to find it (I did try using the link above but got lost half way through). This could help with finding her death.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 October 23 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
There seemed to be a shortage of Durham directories on ancestry, which is why I tried FamilySearch. But most of north east directories on FS are for Newcastle and Gateshead areas.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/213391

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 October 23 10:38 BST (UK) »
The directories on Family Search that jonw65 showed you are held at Gateshead Central Library

There is an email address on this page for Stockton Reference Library
https://www.stockton.gov.uk/family-history-research

Perhaps worth asking them if they have any directories for the time frame?

Boo

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 19 October 23 19:07 BST (UK) »
Appreciated - tks