Author Topic: Richard Cadman Etches  (Read 454 times)

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Cadman Etches
« on: Monday 09 October 23 12:54 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help me decipher the final three lines of the attached please. I am OK up until
Wine Merchant
At his own expense he
attempted to close
 After this the only words I can see that might be correct are Sherborne and the final word which might be Napoleon.

Many thanks.

M
Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Cadman Etches
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 October 23 14:01 BST (UK) »
I'm seeing it as:
attempted to close
___ Harbour
by sinking 2 ___
to ___ Napoleon

I don't know enough about that period to be able to guess at the rest, especially the name of the harbour, but someone else might. (Would the Vintners' Company know anything about him?)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 October 23 14:26 BST (UK) »
This may be a reference to his plan to close Boulogne harbour, in 1804, using fireships loaded with cement and masonry.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 October 23 15:15 BST (UK) »
This may be a reference to his plan to close Boulogne harbour, in 1804, using fireships loaded with cement and masonry.
I think now that the word is Cherbourg Harbour. Cherbourg was a very important military port in Napoleon 's time and it would have been the base for his attack on Britain. I was aware of RCE's involvement with Boulogne but Cherbourg is something new to me.
Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 October 23 15:42 BST (UK) »

I think now that the word is Cherbourg Harbour. Cherbourg was a very important military port in Napoleon 's time and it would have been the base for his attack on Britain. I was aware of RCE's involvement with Boulogne but Cherbourg is something new to me.

Looking at the name again in the light of these comments, I'm fairly sure that it ends in -logne, so it must be Boulogne, though possibly spelled Bologne.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 October 23 19:55 BST (UK) »
I see sinking 2 ships.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 October 23 20:00 BST (UK) »
I agree with arthurk

attempted to close
Bologne Harbour
by sinking 2 ___
to ___ Napoleon

The first missing word could be ships, although I'm not entirely convinced it says so.
What's written before Napoleon eludes me.

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 October 23 10:25 BST (UK) »
I agree with arthurk

attempted to close
Bologne Harbour
by sinking 2 ___
to ___ Napoleon

The first missing word could be ships, although I'm not entirely convinced it says so.
What's written before Napoleon eludes me.
Yes, I think that this is the most likely version. Perhaps it reads "he attempted to close Boulogne Harbour by sinking two ships to thwart Napoleon", the two ships being the fireships referred to in an earlier post. I'm happy with this interpretation. Thanks everyone for all your help.
Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 October 23 11:03 BST (UK) »
There's a lengthy item in Derbyshire Advertiser & Journal, 13 Jun 1930 about Richard Cadman Etches which refers to "a project for destroying the harbour of Boulogne" - an interesting character!.