Author Topic: Where is Robert in 1881 and 1891?  (Read 863 times)

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Robert in 1881 and 1891?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 13 October 23 21:06 BST (UK) »
When I searched the 1939 I used Robert T* with birthdate

The birthdate for wife Elizabeth was correct but a year out, so I do think the 1939 couple matches the 1901/1911 census.

Unknown why his complete birthdate is wrong he may not have known the correct one, or it may have been registered late... it was not enforced until 1874. Not sure if there would be an punishment issue prior to 1874 for registration of a birth.

I would follow the DNA connection.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 14 October 23 10:00 BST (UK) »
A number of my relatives have birth dates on the Register which differ from previous records. Usually, it is by a year either way, except for one which was ten years out. Some also have the correct year, but the day and/or month differ.

Re my previous post, Isabella Davison's maiden name was Orwin.

The marriage on 30th March 1855 in Monk-Wearmouth: Isabella Davison, age 38, daughter of George Orwin, to

Robert Ternent, Labourer, age 41, son of James, a Husbandman. The image is on an Ancestry tree.

One tree has James b 1797, married to Elizabeth Scott.

Isabella Ternent, age 43, was buried on 25 February 1860 in Temple Town, South Shields.

Durham County Advertiser, 1st February 1856
"In the Matter of the Petition of ROBERT TERNENT, formerly of Trimdon Grange, in the County of Durham, Screenman at a Colliery, and Township Constable, whose wife, before her marriage with him, was called Isabella Davison, and before and at the time of his marriage his said wife was carrying on business of Draper, dealer in Drugs, and Confectionery at Trimdon Colliery...etc."

Trimdon Colliery is 3.5 miles from Thornley.

In 1851, Robert's wife Hannah was with her son, George, at Woody Close, Iveston, Durham, with her parents, Robert and Margret Summerbell. Transcribed correctly on FindMyPast but as Hannah Lament and George Turner on Ancestry. Strangely, George married a Turner.

In 1861, George was also with Robert and Margaret Summerbell, but transcribed as Leaning on FindMyPast and Ternenk on Ancestry.

George, transcribed as Tearnent, married Susan Turner in 1879 and died in Gateshead in 1922. He was always Tennent on subsequent censuses, and had five children.

David

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 14 October 23 10:18 BST (UK) »
thankyou for all the information  :)