Author Topic: Address/RC church questions. And Gordon (or Gordan) Street, Ringsend?  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Address/RC church questions. And Gordon (or Gordan) Street, Ringsend?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Came in where?

Offline CiJaNiPa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 17:32 GMT (UK) »
South Dublin workhouse

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 22:06 GMT (UK) »
It's unlikely you're going to find this lady. You could take the female results from the 1901 or 1911 census, (probably) reject anyone married and anyone over 60, and you'd have a group of possibles - but she might have entered the workhouse using a false name - that of her mother, or that of the man who impregnated her, or a random name of someone she met on the train to Dublin. Your most likely results at this stage will come from DNA matches, I suspect.

Offline CiJaNiPa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you and yes I'm sure you're right about it being unlikely. I will keep trying for now, but Ancestry results are pending and will hopefully tell more. I'm finding out firsthand why Irish ancestry research can be so difficult. I'm fortunate to have found out all I have so far, really.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 November 23 23:15 GMT (UK) »

My question now is... I'm not seeing any birth registration or baptism records that could be his. Did the workhouses sometimes not register births or record baptisms?

The child wasn't born there, so the workhouse not only had no responsibility to register the birth, but my belief is they were incapable of doing so, as they had no direct knowledge of where/when the child was born.

As for baptisms, again, not a direct responsibility of the workhouse, though there were official chaplains.  There were separate Catholic registers for some workhouses - e.g. Wexford - so I can't help but wonder if this might also be the case for Dublin, given the numbers involved?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline CiJaNiPa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 November 23 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Okay, that addresses my questions - thank you Wexflyer. I was wondering why I couldn't find a birth registration and that makes sense.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 November 23 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to the 1911 census that had Joseph O'Reilly staying with the Lynch family. 

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Finglas/Tolka/7527/

ETA Re the nurse children in the 1911 census in the Bell & Lynch families.....both families have a Walsh child and an O'Reilly child as a nurse child/boarder

I wonder are the Bells and Lynches interconnected?

Offline CiJaNiPa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 November 23 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Yes I have that record. Joseph was adopted by them. (Thomas Lynch was listed as Joseph’s father on his marriage, and Joseph gave his kids the surname O’Reilly-Lynch. He also died at Tolka Cottages.)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 November 23 03:02 GMT (UK) »
I put the record up so others looking into this intriguing case had a reference.  It saves each one of us having to look for and find each record separately.