Author Topic: Help with finding a death for Betsey Jackson  (Read 363 times)

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with finding a death for Betsey Jackson
« on: Thursday 12 October 23 14:29 BST (UK) »
Me again!!!

This time I'm trying to put together a timeline for the oldest sister of my great grandfather.

I know from FindMyPast that she was born 8th November 1876 in Moulton. By 1879 they have moved to Fleet, as this is where her brother is born. In 1881 she is living with her parents, George and Sarah Jane in Clow(?) Rd Fleet.

I think I've found her in 1891 as a servant in Fleet to a George and Mary Seth. This seems plausible.

I then can't find Betsey after this date. I do however find a burial for a Betsy Jackson in Lincolnshire in August 1891, however no further information on its location in Lincolnshire.

On the 1911 Census Betsey is listed right at the bottom, but she is crossed out. In the column sating children born to this marriage it says 8 and then only 7 still alive. Further research shows that every Jackson sibling apart from Betsey is still alive after 1911. So this points to the fact that Betsey must have died pre-1911.

Last weekend I had a trip over to the church where I know a lot of my ancestors are buried. I was able to find the gravestones of George and Sarah. My great grandparents, another William (who I think might be their son and Betsey's brother) all in the general location of each other. There was a gap between George/Sarah and this William so I wonder if this is possibly the space where Betsey lies and they could not afford a stone or that it has been damaged. Unfortunately there was no sign of life at the church so I couldn't ask if they had burial plot records.

I have been unable to find a death for her but know from the information gained from Census reports that she must have died sometime between the 1891 Census and the 1911 one.  Any help in locating a definite death date would be hugely appreciated.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding a death for Betsey Jackson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 October 23 15:16 BST (UK) »
If she was born in 1876 then she cannot have died in 1871.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 23 15:45 BST (UK) »
If she was born in 1876 then she cannot have died in 1871.

Sorry my mistake...1891

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 23 15:49 BST (UK) »
There is a Lincolnshire death on GRO for a Betsy Jackson (Gainsborough RD) Sept qtr 1891 but she was only 1 year

Death Sep qtr 1891 
Jackson    Betsy   age 1    Gainsbro'    7a   401
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 23 15:54 BST (UK) »
There is a Lincolnshire death on GRO for a Betsy Jackson (Gainsborough RD) Sept qtr 1891 but she was only 1 year

Death Sep qtr 1891 
Jackson    Betsy   age 1    Gainsbro'    7a   401

That could be the burial I found then as that was something like the 25th August 1891 but it only said Lincolnshire.

On the 1911 Census it gives her age as 28, so I'm wondering then if that's how old she was when she died? If she had been alive in 1911 she would have been 34/35. That would give a potential death date of 1883?

Perhaps I need to be looking for a marriage instead...

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 23 18:18 BST (UK) »
I've been looking through the newspapers to see what I can find.

I'm a bit confused by your last statement. I'm sorry if I've got it wrong, I'm dyslexic and sometimes numbers can jump around.

On the 1911 Census it gives her age as 28, so I'm wondering then if that's how old she was when she died? If she had been alive in 1911 she would have been 34/35. That would give a potential death date of 1883?

Are you suggesting that she died aged 28, and that she was entered into the 1911 census by accident. (Understandable, lots of people did it).

Because if she was born in 1876 and died aged 28, that would make her death year 1904, not 1883?

So was she born earlier than 1876?
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 October 23 13:45 BST (UK) »
I've been looking through the newspapers to see what I can find.

I'm a bit confused by your last statement. I'm sorry if I've got it wrong, I'm dyslexic and sometimes numbers can jump around.

Are you suggesting that she died aged 28, and that she was entered into the 1911 census by accident. (Understandable, lots of people did it).

Because if she was born in 1876 and died aged 28, that would make her death year 1904, not 1883?

So was she born earlier than 1876?

Sorry thats me working it out wrong.

She was born 8th November 1876, so yes you are correct in a death year of 1904.

Yes she is written on the 1911 Census as Betsey Jackson aged 28. In the column under "children died" it is written one. Then the whole line is then crossed out so I'm assuming this was written in as a mistake.

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 October 23 13:58 BST (UK) »
This is how her name is on the 1911 Census

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 October 23 17:05 BST (UK) »
She is recorded as single on census. 

Searching deaths between 1891 -1911 for Betsy Jackson age 28 only one comes up all counties. Possibly she was out of county working, if it is her?

Deaths Mar Q 1902 
Jackson    Betsy   age 28    Oldham    8d   465   

Added: 1901 there was a Betsy Jackson age 27 living Oldham, so possibly her, as not your Betsy.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland