Author Topic: Coldstream Guards Service number search  (Read 328 times)

Offline Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coldstream Guards Service number search
« on: Thursday 12 October 23 17:32 BST (UK) »
I'm researching my late uncle, George Clark's service in the Coldstream Guards and wish to apply for his service record. It would help greatly if I could provide his service number. He was born 25 Feb 1921, registered Tynemouth. I'm confident that he joined the Coldstreams prior to WW2 as I recall my late mother, his sister, saying that the family were visited by a recruiting sergeant and his father had to sign his agreement. He served throughout WW2. There may be a record out there for 1936-1938, Record set Coldstream Guards 1800-1981. I'd appreciate anyone able to access such a record and let me know what it reveals! Any other suggestions that may help to build the picture would be much appreciated. 

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Coldstream Guards Service number search
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 October 23 18:06 BST (UK) »
As you already know the volume is described by FindMyPast as covering enlistments to the Coldstream from 1936 to 1938. There are no actual dates on the entries. The George Clark entry appears on page 19, and there are 10 entries per page, meaning that he was 189th person to enlist during that period. The only information in the entry is his number 2658270 and the date of his demobilization to the Class Z reserve on 6 Feb 1950. There was an earlier entry saying he was transferred to the Class A Regular Army reserve on 4 June 1946 but this has been crossed out.

I hope this helps.

Offline Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 23 18:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks..that helps a lot.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 23 18:21 BST (UK) »
Incidentally, nothing else comes up on FindMyPast for Clark and that number.

Offline Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 23 18:24 BST (UK) »
The number is the important part. Hopefully it will accelerate a response for his record! thanks again.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 October 23 03:25 BST (UK) »
In the description of the collection British Army, Coldstream Guards 1800-1981 on Findmypast it says
"All of the records you see in this collection are published courtesy of the Trustees of the Coldstream Guards Charitable Fund and are housed in the Coldstream Guards archive at Wellington Barracks in London. Until recently, the regiment was also the custodian of Coldstream Guards service records, but these have latterly been deposited with the Ministry of Defence and can be requested from the MoD."

This link explains how to apply and what information you will need to supply. You do not need a service number
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service/apply-for-the-records-of-a-deceased-serviceperson
Cris

Offline Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 October 23 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your advice. I just thought the more info, the quicker I may receive the records.