Author Topic: glyn an caerllugest family llangeitho  (Read 232 times)

Offline collwyn ap tangno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
glyn an caerllugest family llangeitho
« on: Friday 13 October 23 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, does anyone have a copy of ‘Glyn & caerllugest  family llangeitho cardiganshire’ by D.S. Davies please? There’s a copy in the national library but it’s a bit far for a hunch!

I want to confirm if John Davies of Llangeitho (born 1846,  living in talysarn 1891 census in caernarvonshire) belongs to the family of Glyn, llanbadarn odwin.

Diolch

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: glyn an caerllugest family llangeitho
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 October 23 11:05 BST (UK) »
There's an index entry in the 1921 C for a John Davies at Talysarn, born Blaenpenal 1845 and this one has a baptism in Blaenpenal. Quarry labourer doesn't seem to be the most appropriate occupation or someone whose brother became a J.P.

There's another suitable John J (could be Jones) Davies in Cefnllys, Llandrindod Wells, draper in 1891 who seems to have married a widow and later moved from Pier st Aberystwyth after dissolving partnership in drapery.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 October 23 13:05 BST (UK) »
thanks, I did think it was odd that he would grow up as a minor gentry and end up in a quarry. But then again it’s also odd that any person from llangeitho would end up in Talysarn!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: john davies blaenpenal llangeitho
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 October 23 20:33 BST (UK) »
follow up: Yes the 75 year old John Davies in talysarn in the 1921 census is the same one, thanks for the tip. I hadn’t checked that census, thanks for that.

Do you have the baptism record for Blaenpenal please?

I’ve ordered his marriage certificate so I can narrow him down.

Diolch

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 October 23 21:34 BST (UK) »
John Davies son of John and Margaret Davies of Blaenhurfen, taher a farmer,was baptised in Blaenpenal parish on 21 sep 1845
https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/76563:62101?tid=&pid=&queryId=f52d8ad92e3da523ba07d94e327585c1&_phsrc=rlg20569&_phstart=successSource

as opposed to John Jones Davies son of John and Jane Davies of Bryncethin, father a reeholder, who was baptised on 21 Nov 1845 at Llangeitho.

John Jones Davies, a draper, son of John Jones Davies a farmer, was married by licence at St Michael's Aberystwyth on 9 Jan 1877 to Elizabeth Mawson a widow (original name Marpole, father Richard Marpole a farmer). Both aged 31, he lived at Pier st and bride lived at Victoria Tce. Witnesses William Evans and William Jenkins. 
https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/166103:62101?tid=&pid=&queryId=ca190e48dba30480791236565eaf8b49&_phsrc=rlg20572&_phstart=successSource

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 October 23 23:56 BST (UK) »
thanks