Author Topic: Castlerahan, Cavan - Sanford  (Read 149 times)

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Castlerahan, Cavan - Sanford
« on: Saturday 14 October 23 04:20 BST (UK) »
James Sanford is listed in the 1821 Census - Castleraghan, Castlerahan, Cavan, Ireland. His age was listed as 75 on the census. He appears to be a widower living with children, grandchildren and a couple of servants.

I've located a few birth and marriage records of what appear to be family members, but no other real record of James, his wife, or anything else about him on Ancestry or FindMyPast.

The reason I'm so keen on learning more is that I have a line of Sandfords that I don't know much about pre-1830's and I found a cluster of DNA matches on Ancestry linking me to Caffrys and Reillys in Castlerahan, Cavan. I happened upon James Sanford's census mixed with the Caffrys and Reillys and thought he could be a grandfather, or at least relative of the James Sandford (b. around 1817) in my line...even though mine was born in County Tyrone.

I have a hard time believing there are no other records of this man other than one census record. Maybe there's a dusty book somewhere in Ireland providing more, but I'm at the mercy of online resources at the moment. Does anyone know of any documents online that would allow me a "deeper dive" into persons in Castlerhan, Cavan?

I know it is a longshot, but worth an ask  ;)
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Castlerahan, Cavan - Sanford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 October 23 07:05 BST (UK) »

James Sanford is listed in the 1821 Census - Castleraghan, Castlerahan, Cavan, Ireland.

Adding the links-

House 40 in Castleraghan (Castlerahan, Cavan)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1821/Cavan/Castlerahan/Castleraghan/40/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/c19/007246487/007246487_00327.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo