Author Topic: Occupation & Causes of Death  (Read 437 times)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Occupation & Causes of Death
« on: Saturday 14 October 23 09:39 BST (UK) »
Could anyone make out the causes of death, or the word for occupation between Railway and Man for William Wellens please on this death certificate.
Thanks everyone, Luke

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation & Causes of Death
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 October 23 09:49 BST (UK) »
Railway 'Press' (?) Man

a. Uraemia
b. Ascending pylonephritis.
c. enlarged prostate with retention
 Epididymitis  (left)

Certified F S? Ferguson MB.

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 October 23 10:09 BST (UK) »
Wonderful work Wiggy, thank you!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 23 00:57 GMT (UK) »
 Not sure about this but...Wonder if they meant to write Railway Express Man?
   Looked after the transportation & safety of luggage, parcels & imports on trains. Sometimes even picking them up & even taking them to their destination addresses... Sounds rather like the express parcel post deliveries today.
  Adding...I see a young William if that is your man, in the 1911 census Blackpool, Fylde, Lancashire- a railway goods porter...which sounds similar in job terms but his later work being of more importance.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 November 23 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Another candidate for the 1911:

Searching the address listed of 17 Romney Street, Moston leads to an electoral record for William Wellens in 1914, which notes that his address was successive from 11 Elizabeth Street.

There is a William Wellens at 11 Elizabeth Street, Moston in the 1911, occupation iron worker for the L.Y. Railway Co.

Could it be, and just a wild guess, that they "pressed" iron into tracks, and he is a "Press man" as Wiggy has suggested? 

This fellow was born around 1872, and appears with wife Elizabeth and a bunch of kiddies and his mother.

RG 14  Piece 24249  schedule 211
Parish North Manchester, Reg District Prestwich, Subdistrict Failsworth

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 23 01:50 GMT (UK) »
bbart...Was looking at that, & thought of that as well, but there were no pressmen to be found on census. Then I saw that same man b. Lancashire also working for the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Co. as an iron worker  (who may or not have been related to the younger William b. 1891 Oldham, goods porter) So I tried to find a Railway/pressman rather than iron worker but none seemed to exist. Perhaps later censuses reflect a name change in the profession!
  * adding: Here, in Canada, a pressman might be a printer or work for a newspaper. Can anyone find an occ: iron press worker? Goods porter mentioned often here occ. from 1921 census http://doot.spub.co.uk/index.php
Also going to add that there is also a David Wellens on 1911 ( b 1876 Manchester) who works for L Y Railway occ. blacksmith striker.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 23 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi J.J.

I think we need gnorman to tell us the age of the deceased!

The William Wellens at the address given on the death registration matches the 1872 William Wellens who, on prior censuses, was an iron worker (1901), iron worker for railway (1911), and in the 1939, right address, BUT now a retired blacksmith striker,  which matches one of the Wellens you were looking at.  Agh!

If the 1872 William had a son named William, I can't find him. 

Perhaps William switched to the Express man job as he grew older?  I wouldn't think a heavy duty job of striking iron (or more likely, steel) over intense heat could be a lifelong occupation? 
Maybe there is an electoral role, (or gnorman needs to get the 1921), that might show an occupation change, or a more lightweight job he took after he retired.

I tried googling every term I could think of for the "iron press man".   Found lots of clothes irons for sale!   :D

Edit:  Hang on..... blacksmiths used a forging PRESS...

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 November 23 11:44 GMT (UK) »
   Hello bbart, Haha...I got carried away with my curiosity. I now know far more about the varied profession than I knew before (which was obviosly nil) & now realize it could've just been an inside work vernacular, or a guess by the person reporting the death.