Author Topic: Enough Proof?  (Read 846 times)

Offline Cindysw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Enough Proof?
« on: Saturday 14 October 23 23:19 BST (UK) »
I am hoping to find a way (or group) to either confirm or question whether I have found enough proof that my 3rd. great grandfather's parents are who I think they are.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Enough Proof?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 October 23 01:41 BST (UK) »
You don't give any information to work with here Cindy.

Who is the last person that you have actual evidence for, and what are you trying to prove?

I was always told there should be three pieces of evidence on which to base a proof - primary sources if at all possible, (Birth, marriage, death certificates or entries; Census entries; wills; family bibles, etc).

The Genealogical Proof Standard
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_Proof_Standard
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Cindysw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 October 23 02:22 BST (UK) »
I have so much information and attachments but nothing is 100% proof.  I have a baptism record for Wm. Peters (3rd. g-grandfather) born to Henry and Mary Peters in England at the right time.

I have the marriage record for Wm. Peters of Weldford, Kent Co. married to Mary Matilda Lawrence of Richibucto, Kent Co., New Brunswick, the same Weldford that the above mentioned Henry and Mary settled in Kent Co,.  John Kinread was a witness at William's wedding, John Kinread is the husband of Henry and Mary's daughter Ann who also lives in Weldford. The second witness at William's wedding was Henry Peters.

I have William's land petitioning for land in Weldford.  No other Peter's families in the area, there is a Peter's family in New Bandon, NB but they are Irish and Roman Catholic. Another Peter's family in Fredericton but they are African American, one in Charlotte but immigrated long before my William was born, he was born in England on every census (1851, 1871, 1881, 1891).

Religion is sometimes consistant.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 October 23 02:25 BST (UK) »
Barring DNA (in some cases), there is no such thing as 100% proof.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Cindysw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 October 23 02:44 BST (UK) »
I am fourth to sixth cousin to ancestry members with this Peter's family on their tree

Offline Cindysw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 October 23 02:48 BST (UK) »
I guess this is a circumstantial case, and the first time I can't find anything to prove it.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 October 23 04:17 BST (UK) »
Still no dates or places on which to search Cindy. It's tricky when we have no idea about what years to look around. It's always better to give as much detailed information as possible, otherwise it's impossible to start searching anything.

Quote:
'I have a baptism record for Wm. Peters (3rd. g-grandfather) born to Henry and Mary Peters in England at the right time.'

What date is this, and where in England?
Have you done any research into this family in England?
Does the William Peters you've found appear in following records in a marriage or burial in the area?
If you find him in subsequent records. then he obviously can't be the one who emigrated.
If there's no sign of him, its POSSIBLE it could be him. Of course he could just have moved to another part of England, so it doesn't prove it is him, but if you do find him, that's that avenue cut off.
Do you know if the Henry Peters, the possible father, had any brothers and sisters?
Have you traced him on the UK Censuses? If so, you will know his parents' names.
Have you looked for a will for Henry's father?, or Henry's father's brothers and sisters?
They might just mention members of the family who have emigrated.

What about William's brothers and sisters?
Did any of them remain in the uk?
If so when did they die, and did they leave any wills?

Again you don't give this information in your post, but what year did they emigrate?
It sounds as though Henry was the first of the family to do so.
Have you searched for the death of the possible Henry's father, and for an obituary in the local newspapers? Again, family members might be mentioned.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 October 23 09:39 BST (UK) »
According to some trees on Ancestry, it appears that
William Peters was born c1819, England.  His parents supposedly were Henry Peters and Mary Standing. He supposedly died in 1892 in Hammond County, New Brunswick, Canada.  (I did not see any sources for the above details but perhaps I didn’t spend enough time looking.)

Cindysw, do you know in which Canadian cemetery Peters family members were buried?  If so, have you contacted the cemetery office to inquire about details for William?  All I knew about my Mumford ancestor’s birth was that he was born in England c1826 (no records gave his exact place of birth, nor even the English county). The staff at his (Ontario, Canada) cemetery kindly checked their records and provided the town name.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 October 23 10:47 BST (UK) »
I tried to shrink the link, with no success.

Found on FindAGrave is

Saint Paul's Anglican Church Cemetery
Londonderry, Kings County, New Brunswick, Canada

Mary M Peters, died 1899  [Wife of William]
Richard Peters, 1855 - 1930
W Melbourne Peters, died 1909
William Peters, died June 1895

The years of birth are a bit off for Mary and William (ages at death are included on the headstone) but perhaps these are your William and Mary Matilda and their son, Richard?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)