Author Topic: Ballinasloe birth/baptism records  (Read 397 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballinasloe birth/baptism records
« on: Sunday 15 October 23 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hello

Where is the best place to make birth/baptism enquiries for a Joseph Devine born around 1881-1884 Ballinasloe, Gallway. Unfortunately I don’t know a lot about him, but would like to learn more.

He moves to Carmarthenshire and marries an Annie Mary Davies in 1919. His marriage record states he was 38 (therefore born around 1881) a general labourer whose father was also Joseph Devine (deceased) a Carpenter.

In 1921 she states he was 37 and 0 months (therefore born around June 1884), born Ballinasloe, Galway, again a general labourer “ex service out of work”

After 1921 his whereabouts are unknown, although his wife ends up (on her own) in Brighton!

Thank you

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ballinasloe birth/baptism records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 October 23 16:09 BST (UK) »
Irish civil records are here, so you should be able to find a birth around that time.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
You just need to solve a captcha and sign in.

However, I can’t as yet find a birth in Ballinasloe.

I wonder if ‘ex service’ relates to a war record?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 October 23 16:34 BST (UK) »
There is also the census - 1901 and 1911
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

I notice when searching that the surname ‘Duane’ also is shown on Irish Genealogy.
https://www.barrygriffin.com/surname-maps/irish/DUANE/

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 October 23 16:48 BST (UK) »
"Name   Joseph Devine
Role of Individual   Witness
Event Type   Court
Event Date   30 Jun 1883
Event Place   Galway, Ireland
Court Name   Gort"

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 October 23 16:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you, useful advice. I have check WW1 records on site but no obvious match. The one that is suggested is for a Joseph Devine born 1880 but is Lusk

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 October 23 16:54 BST (UK) »
"Name   Joseph Devine
Role of Individual   Witness
Event Type   Court
Event Date   30 Jun 1883
Event Place   Galway, Ireland
Court Name   Gort"

Thank you. That looks a possibility. I’m not familiar with Irish records so what does Event Type ‘Court’ and Court name “Gort” mean? Also, I presume this is a baptism record?

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 October 23 16:59 BST (UK) »
I see Joseph Devine 1880 Lusk suggested on a site ...but they also say he died 1949 Lusk and when you look up that document it says this Jospeh died a bachelor. They also list the correct wedding of 1919 Carmarthenshire... so either they have wrong info listed or he really did die in 1949 at Lusk  and there is some kind of a mix-up on his marital status.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1949/04541/4197543.pdf

Regarding your previous comment... that was a snip from a court case where Joseph Devine of Galway was a witness in 1883. Presumably the father of the Joseph you are searching for.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 October 23 18:00 BST (UK) »
Regarding your previous comment... that was a snip from a court case where Joseph Devine of Galway was a witness in 1883. Presumably the father of the Joseph you are searching for.

Joseph Devine of Gort was a Policeman. He is also the Complainant on the same day.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 October 23 19:47 BST (UK) »
I see Joseph Devine 1880 Lusk suggested on a site ...but they also say he died 1949 Lusk and when you look up that document it says this Jospeh died a bachelor. They also list the correct wedding of 1919 Carmarthenshire... so either they have wrong info listed or he really did die in 1949 at Lusk  and there is some kind of a mix-up on his marital status.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1949/04541/4197543.pdf

I note all the people in the death record are described as inmates. Does this mean these are records from a prison or a mental hospital?