Author Topic: Jean Watson c1780 & David Hislop 1788 - 1868 West Linton Peebleshire  (Read 333 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jean Watson c1780 & David Hislop 1788 - 1868 West Linton Peebleshire
« on: Sunday 15 October 23 17:45 BST (UK) »
I am trying to reach anyone with information regarding  Jean/Jane Watson c 1780 possibly Kelso she married David Hislop 1788 – 1868 West Linton Peebles they were contracted to marry in West Linton 4th July 1813. My husband is descended from their son John Lauder Hislop  AKA  John Lauder 1814 - 1887. Would like to discover parents for Jean/Jane please.

Thank you
Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Watson c1780 & David Hislop 1788 - 1868 West Linton Peebleshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 October 23 18:34 BST (UK) »
I note the marriage and birth/baptism you mention on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
How do you know that Jean was born about 1780, maybe Kelso, have you found her death record or census?

It seems that John was their only child, unless they moved away from Peebleshire?

Do you know when and where David was born?

DAVID HISLOP   MARRIED   JEAN WATSON   04/07/1813   WEST LINTON

HISLOP JOHN LAUDER DAVID HISLOP/JEAN WATSON    20/04/1814 WEST LINTON

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 October 23 19:16 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census suggests that Jean must have died before then. The 1851 census says that David is a widower. There's no obvious death on SP, so you'd need to check the Kirk Session records and see if there is a gravestone.

SP has 5 baptisms of children to David H and Jean Watson. IF they followed the naming tradition you'd expect Jean's parents' names to be James and Marion. There might be clues to Janet's parentage if the baptism records include names of witnesses.

There's another child, Helen, in the census with David. Aged 16 in 1841 and 29 in 1861.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 October 23 19:19 BST (UK) »
Looks as if at least some of the family died in Galashiels?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 October 23 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hello ColC . thanks for the response. On the 1861 census David is recorded as being born Whirn (?) in 1791 living in Ladhope However his death cert says he was aged 80 at death making DOB 1788 father recorded as James Hislop no mother.. son John L Hislop present. Wife recorded as Jane Watson, she has also been recorded as Jean. I can only find a Jean Watson born to Alexander Watson and Jane lauder but not convinced this is the right person, I thought perhaps someone else may have a different idea on this couple.

Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 October 23 19:33 BST (UK) »
 Hello Forfarian, I have found these children to David and Jean, John Lauder Hislop. James. Marion Alexander and William (twins) and a Helen. the others you named are new to me so I will be looking at those now to see if I can find a clue,  I did look at Kirk Sessions but unless someone was accused of fornication they did not get mentioned .. Thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 October 23 21:09 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Whirn is a mistranscription of Whim? This is a place in the parish of Newlands.

See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15.6&lat=55.76925&lon=-3.25163&layers=257&b=1&marker=55.76844,-3.25275 and
https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NT2153

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 October 23 15:24 BST (UK) »
I was hoping to find parents for Jean Watson. David and Jean named their first child John LAUDER Hislop and John had a preference for the surname Lauder... so I have been searching for a Watson/Lauder connection, I have located a marriage contract between an Alexander Watson and a Jean Lauder on 11th November 1767 with the marriage recorded in Cockpen on the 15th November.  Alexander from Kelso and Jean from Cockpen. Amongst their children was a daughter named Jean 1777 -   However, I have doubts about Alexander and Jean as trees on Ancestry connect this Jean to Sir Robert Lauder and as tempting as it may be I can't commit to this line without more evidence of which I am struggling to find.
Am I missing another marriage between a Watson and a Lauder?

Patricia

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 October 23 21:05 BST (UK) »
Do not ever trust anything you find on Ancestry unless it's an image of an original document.

When you say 'marriage contract' what exactly have you found?

Have you looked at the original marriage records at Scotland's People? What more information (if any) do they contain?

Have you noticed  the baptism of John, son of William Hislop and Agnes Lauder, in Hawick in 1719? Might it be relevant?