Author Topic: Help with marriage, please.  (Read 304 times)

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help with marriage, please.
« on: Sunday 15 October 23 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am not sure if anyone can help I don't have a lot of information.

I am looking for the first marriage of a Bridget Brown her married name was Maloy.

According to the 1861 census Bridget was born around 1831 Mayo, Ireland.

She was living in Preston Lancashire on the 1861 census and had remarried to a John Saul in 1859.

Bridget's father was Peter Brown, Farmer. (Info from parish marriage record 1859 St Johns, Preston, Lancashire) Bridget was a widow when she remarried.

Bridget had three children with her first husband.

Bernard Maloy 1847. Mary Ann Maloy 1849 and Bridget 1851.
I think Bernard was born in Ireland but not sure about the other two.

I would appreciate any information.
Thanks

Lynch Ireland, Scotland, Lancashire.   Whittle, Lancashire.   Day, Oxfordshire, Lancashire.  Norman, Ireland, India   Smith, Lancashire.    Bottomley, Yorkshire.  Walker, Scotland, U.S.A New Jersey, Lancashire.   Brennan, Ireland, Lancashire.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help with marriage, please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 October 23 20:22 BST (UK) »
2 daughters aged 12 & 10 in 1861 were both b Preston which suggests her first husband died in Preston.

Have you checked for a possible death?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 October 23 20:44 BST (UK) »
Strange 1851 but all names match 1861 entry.  All b Ireland  - 1861 differences are in brackets

Back Bridge Preston

John Mulloy 57 rail labourer
Bridget 42 (30)
Bernard 8 (14)
Mary 3 ( 12 b Preston)
Bridget 2 (10 b Preston)
Piece 2226/424/16
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 October 23 20:48 BST (UK) »
There is only one that I can see a Martin Maloy died 1950 aged 54 Preston.

Bridget's second husband was also a widow with children took me for ever to work out who's child belonged to who. ;D

The 1851 census looks promising.
This family have pickled my brain

Lynch Ireland, Scotland, Lancashire.   Whittle, Lancashire.   Day, Oxfordshire, Lancashire.  Norman, Ireland, India   Smith, Lancashire.    Bottomley, Yorkshire.  Walker, Scotland, U.S.A New Jersey, Lancashire.   Brennan, Ireland, Lancashire.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 October 23 20:51 BST (UK) »
There is a John Mulloy death in Preston June qtr 1851 but he was only 38

John Saul's first wife was Jane Park - she died 1857

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 October 23 21:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry my internet went down :'(

I have seen the death for John Mulloy it is possible he could be the husband.

It is definitely a challenge this one, names and dates change from one record to the next.
I have Marley on the 1861 census, Maloy on the marriage and now Mulloy.

You can see why I need help.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 October 23 21:39 BST (UK) »
Bridget was 56 when she died in March qtr 1885 so born approx 1829/30.  That would mean she was only 14 when Bernard was born - or she was a second wife & Bernard wasn't her son

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 October 23 21:50 BST (UK) »
I never even thought to work out the dates.

The plot thickens. Getting more challenging by the minute.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Bridget was 56 when she died in March qtr 1885 so born approx 1829/30.  That would mean she was only 14 when Bernard was born - or she was a second wife & Bernard wasn't her son

Or Bridget simply wasn't 56 when she died. Not uncommon for these ages to be 20+ years off! Invariably older than stated. In fact, almost certain that the age is wrong. Consider - her age was given as 42 in 1851, but only 56 in 1885? That is impossible. If she was indeed 42 in 1851, then she was 76 in 1885.

I have seen multiple examples of this. Examples where civil registration and burial registers differ by 20+ years, plus other examples where age at death simply has to be off by that amount given when they married. Same comment applies to age of John Molloy.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area