Author Topic: DNA to find half sibling  (Read 786 times)

Offline JAHL2

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA to find half sibling
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 November 23 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying for 50 years to find my half sister born in 1938 to my father and his first wife. All I have is her birth certificate. There is no trace of her other than it is thought as a toddler she went to live with another family. She was not with anyone of her birth family. Her mother had 3 more children with another man. One dying at birth, one officially adopted and another with no trace. I have their birth certificates only

I appreciate she may be dead but would like to see if she had family. I have DNA on Ancestry, My Heritage and Living DNA. My parents DNA is split so I have been able to home in on my father’s side but apart from a few 2nd cousin matches   they are all very distant.

I’m really not sure what I should be looking for to try and find any of her descendants and would be so grateful for any pointers.

Have you considered 23&Me? The reason for this is a friend of mine's daughter did a 23&Me test as her maternal grandmother had died from cancer early. To her and her father's total shock she had a "half-aunt" come up on her paternal side. It has all had a very happy ending with her paternal grandmother finally releasing the secret she'd held for most of her life and family united. 

Many adpotees use 23&Me looking for medical information.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DNA to find half sibling
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 November 23 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying for 50 years to find my half sister born in 1938 to my father and his first wife. All I have is her birth certificate. There is no trace of her other than it is thought as a toddler she went to live with another family. She was not with anyone of her birth family. Her mother had 3 more children with another man. One dying at birth, one officially adopted and another with no trace. I have their birth certificates only

I appreciate she may be dead but would like to see if she had family. I have DNA on Ancestry, My Heritage and Living DNA. My parents DNA is split so I have been able to home in on my father’s side but apart from a few 2nd cousin matches   they are all very distant.

I’m really not sure what I should be looking for to try and find any of her descendants and would be so grateful for any pointers.

Have you considered 23&Me? The reason for this is a friend of mine's daughter did a 23&Me test as her maternal grandmother had died from cancer early. To her and her father's total shock she had a "half-aunt" come up on her paternal side. It has all had a very happy ending with her paternal grandmother finally releasing the secret she'd held for most of her life and family united. 

Many adpotees use 23&Me looking for medical information.

I would not touch 23&me with a ten foot barge pole.

Remember they are being investigated over a Data Breach.

Deal with 23&Me at your own risk