Author Topic: The Known Unknowns - WWI Records available but not yet digitised  (Read 360 times)

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Known Unknowns - WWI Records available but not yet digitised
« on: Monday 16 October 23 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all

What Army records that potentially relate to service personnel in WW1 have yet to be digitised?
I have access to FindMyPast and Ancestry so can see the extensive service, pension, and transfer records online. I can also see the war diary records of the regiments when deployed.

I'm interested to hear whether there are records worth requesting at the National Archives that might provide further information? Also whether depot records that cover the administration and discipline of soldiers based at home are available?

Many thanks!

Neil

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Known Unknowns - WWI Records available but not yet digitised
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 October 23 17:08 BST (UK) »
Records that haven't yet been digitised include any WW1 soldier that continued to serve after the war was over. All officer's records have not been digitised. There are still some war diaries that haven't been digitised.

Offline Pennant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to another topic, I have found a record of my grandfather’s “personal files”, which have not been digitised. However I have no idea if it’s worth ordering a copy. I mean, what sort of thing would be in them?  (He was a lieutenant, if that makes any difference.)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to another topic, I have found a record of my grandfather’s “personal files”, which have not been digitised. However I have no idea if it’s worth ordering a copy. I mean, what sort of thing would be in them?  (He was a lieutenant, if that makes any difference.)

It should be his full service record - showing items like his personal details, his date of enlistment, his regiment (and possibly the Company(ies) that he was with). If he had been wounded and hospitalised I would expect details to be in his record. I can't say 'pay for his record' - the decision has to be yours.

Offline Pennant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I know his regiment, and I suspect he had some kind of injury (though he never spoke about it) because he walked with a limp. Maybe I'll ask about the cost.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I know his regiment, and I suspect he had some kind of injury (though he never spoke about it) because he walked with a limp. Maybe I'll ask about the cost.

£30; https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Pennant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much.