Author Topic: Tamar Donnythorne of St Gluvias (poss 1672 - 1740)  (Read 740 times)

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Tamar Donnythorne of St Gluvias (poss 1672 - 1740)
« on: Monday 16 October 23 16:03 BST (UK) »
There are variations of Tamar's name - Tamer, Thamer, Honor and even Thomas for first names. Denithorne, Dennithorn and Donythorne for last.

She married Ralph Kent in St Gluvias on 15 June 1700 and proceeded to produce at least 8 children, one of which is my 7th great grandmother.  Tamar died in St Gluvias in April 1740 and is buried there.

The only baptism I can find in Cornwall is 6 September 1672 in St Gluvias, father Henry.  That makes her at least aged 28 on marriage in 1700.

My question is, is it likely that the marriage in 1700 would be her first?  It's the only one I've found. And would it be customary to be widowed but married again in her maiden name?

Thank you
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tamar Donnythorne of St Gluvias (poss 1672 - 1740)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 October 23 16:19 BST (UK) »
Nothing in the parish register to suggest she was a widow
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sqx/

If she had been a widow, it would be unlikely that she would marry in her maiden name.

I've checked for wills for Henry & Ralph but none in the opc index.

You may find her name as Thomasine as well.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 October 23 17:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I hadn't seen the original parish record before but, I agree, no suggestion she was a widow. 

In doing further Cornish research in the 18thC I have a found other females marrying in their late 20s and going to have large families so maybe it's not so unusual.  The other possibility is that the Tamar baptised in 1672 died and another child was given the same name without a baptism either taking place or being recorded. 

I see you have Donithorn as name you are researching.  I've found variations of the name in St Gluvias and Truro but haven't managed to link any of them together.
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 October 23 17:09 BST (UK) »
Information on freereg, which you may already have.

Father Henry.
Tamar DONNITHORNE   Baptism   08 Sep 1672   Cornwall   St Gluvias : St Gluvias the Martyr : Parish Register

Also John DANNITHORNE 1671, Anne DONNYTHORNE 1674 (Mother also noted as Grace)

Jane DENYTHORNE 1677, Nicklas/Nicolas  DONNYTHORNE 1682 (Burial 1683)  (Henery & Grace noted), there may be others.

Looks likely that Henry was buried 1709 & Grace 1715 (No detail)

Honner DENITHORNERalph KENT   Marriage   15 Jun 1700   Cornwall   St Gluvias : St Gluvias the Martyr : Parish Register

Possible baptism. Father John
Ralfe K[EO]*NT   Baptism   19 Aug 1669   Cornwall   Perranzabuloe : St Piran : Parish Register
Brother John1672 & 1680

Tamar KENT   Burial   26 Apr 1740   Cornwall   St Gluvias : St Gluvias the Martyr : Parish Register

I note that Ralph & Tamar had several children, including Henry 1707/08 & Grace 1716, it’s possible the burial below might be Henry.

Son of  Ralfe & Tamur
* KENT   Burial   15 Oct 1708   Cornwall   St Gluvias : St Gluvias the Martyr : Parish Register

My guess would be that this is all correct for Tamar/Honner despite her parents names not necessarily being in the English naming pattern, which was not followed by all. I do not see another marriage but not all married young, so 28 is not abnormal in my opinion.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 October 23 17:15 BST (UK) »
My Donithorn bride appears seemingly from nowhere. I can find a couple of possible baptisms but there are also burials to eliminate the candidates. So if you have a lost Alice around 1740, I'll claim her.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 October 23 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Colin

So many different spellings!!  I had most of those except John bap 1671 which suggests the Henry/Grace marriage was 1670 or 1671. 

So I think I am probably on the right track!!

Appreciated!

Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 October 23 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hello rosneath, I think we may be distant cousins! 

Henry Denithorne, (Dennythorne, Donnithorne et al.) 1637 - 1709 is my 8th great uncle. I am descended from his brother, John Denithorne, 1643 - 1716. According to FreeReg records both were baptized at St Gluvias the Martyr Church with parents John Denithorne and Anes.

All the best,
Margaret  :)
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 October 23 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Margaret

How wonderful we have found that connection!  John son of John and Ane is my 7th great grand uncle.

Yes, I had John Donnithorne and An, Ane, Anes or Anne as Henry's parents.  Other possible children I found were Nicholas 1633 and William 1640.  I found 2 Johns!  One  baptised 1646, another born about 1644 but they could be the same person!

Is your ancestor the John that married Blanch Dout in 1664?

All the best
Isabel
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 October 23 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isabel,
Yes, my John married Blanch Dout in 1664 - she died in 1715 St. Gluvias. Unfortuately, I don't know when or where she was born nor who her parents were. There is also Elizabeth, parents John and Anes baptized 21 Jan 1643 the same day as my John.

I have also seriously considered whether the John Donythorne bap 1646 with parents John and Anne could be my John, however I can't find a burial for John (bap 1643) beween 1643 - 1646. I can only hope that when he was buried in 1716 his age was recorded on his headstone (if indeed there is one) thus solving the mystery.

Then there is John Donithorn bap 28 Aug 1644 of John and An - I must admit I  I need some help trying to figure out which John married Blanch Dout.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Best wishes,
Margaret
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx