Author Topic: Tamar Donnythorne of St Gluvias (poss 1672 - 1740)  (Read 742 times)

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tamar Donnythorne of St Gluvias (poss 1672 - 1740)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 October 23 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

I agree, too many John Denithorne/Dannithorn/Donnithorns baptised around the same time to similar named parents.  And no eliminating burials.  I doubt if there will be a headstone.  Find a Grave only shows one for the period that interests us.

I did wonder if John D and An, Ane or Anne are different people to John and Anes.  Anes being a phonetic spelling of Agnes.  There is a baptism for parents John and Agnes daughter Elizabeth in 1629. But that might be clutching at straws!

So two similar families having children baptised at St Gluvias the Martyr.  Perhaps.

Generally I have found that if parents have children baptised using the same Christian name, the earlier ones have died, even if there is no record.  Marriages and births seem to have been more important to record.  So I would say for you that it's more likely that the John baptised 1646 is the one that married Blanch in 1664, even though he would have been aged 18 or 19.

It's all a bit of guesswork, isn't?

Best wishes
Isabel

Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 04:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help Isabel,

The history of the name Anes is very interesting with Agnes and Annis considered related names however they apparently could be interchanged with Ann or Anne in the 17th Century - add 3 Johns to the mix and I feel like I am going around in circles!

Re Elyzabithe Denithorne Bap 31 Oct 1629 with parents John and Agnes - no, I don't think you are clutching at straws, unfortunately it looks like she died a few months before our Henry was born - Elizabethe Denythorne dau of John buried 7 Jul 1636 St Gluvias the Martyr.

There was also a John Donithorn and Mary who had their children baptized at St Gluvias the Martyr at a similar time to John and Blanch/Henry and Grace - he may well be one of our 'Johns' - of course we may never know for sure - pity, it would be great to eliminate one of them. ;)
- John Donithorn bap 31 Jul 1676  parents John and Mary
- Nicholas Denythorne burial 20 Oct 1678 of John and Mary also,
- Mary Denythorne Bap 12 Aug 1680 to John and Mary -  Mary Dennythorne burial 10 Feb 1683
- Nicklas Donnythorne bap 16 Jul 1682, Nickalas Donythorne burial 04 Feb 1683.

I was contemplating John bap. May 1646 marrying Blanch Aug 1664, aged 18 and I was wondering if he would have required parental consent to marry and if so, is it likely that the consent would be recorded on the church marriage record or elsewhere?

Overall, I agree, it is all a bit of guesswork, but for me it's great fun trying to solve the puzzles along the way - even if I spend a great deal of time twirling around in circles.

Take care,

Margaret  :)
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

I had a look at the original parish record for marriages on Family Search.  There’s nothing to suggest John who married Blanch needed parental permission but that could just be the way the vicar recorded things!  Not sure if this link will take you there but it’s on page 71 ….

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-65Z9-X7?i=70&wc=3CB8-3TB%3A138123201%2C141408201%2C1582892801&cc=1769414

I’ve got to Tamar and her potential mother Grace as I have tested my mtDNA.  Mother’s mother’s mother etc.  But the results turn out to be rare in Northern Europe so are not linking me to anyone else.  I tried finding other Denithornes through Ancestry DNA but drew a blank there too.   I think we are a rare species!!

Cheers
Isabel
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I think the question of parental consent only started with Hardwicke's Marriage Act in 1753 so later than the marriage you're looking at.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sr8/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Osprey I guessed something like that.

No sign of an Alice to match yours yet!

Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 November 23 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help Isabel,

The history of the name Anes is very interesting with Agnes and Annis considered related names however they apparently could be interchanged with Ann or Anne in the 17th Century - add 3 Johns to the mix and I feel like I am going around in circles!

Re Elyzabithe Denithorne Bap 31 Oct 1629 with parents John and Agnes - no, I don't think you are clutching at straws, unfortunately it looks like she died a few months before our Henry was born - Elizabethe Denythorne dau of John buried 7 Jul 1636 St Gluvias the Martyr.

There was also a John Donithorn and Mary who had their children baptized at St Gluvias the Martyr at a similar time to John and Blanch/Henry and Grace - he may well be one of our 'Johns' - of course we may never know for sure - pity, it would be great to eliminate one of them. ;)
- John Donithorn bap 31 Jul 1676  parents John and Mary
- Nicholas Denythorne burial 20 Oct 1678 of John and Mary also,
- Mary Denythorne Bap 12 Aug 1680 to John and Mary -  Mary Dennythorne burial 10 Feb 1683
- Nicklas Donnythorne bap 16 Jul 1682, Nickalas Donythorne burial 04 Feb 1683.

I was contemplating John bap. May 1646 marrying Blanch Aug 1664, aged 18 and I was wondering if he would have required parental consent to marry and if so, is it likely that the consent would be recorded on the church marriage record or elsewhere?

Overall, I agree, it is all a bit of guesswork, but for me it's great fun trying to solve the puzzles along the way - even if I spend a great deal of time twirling around in circles.

Take care,

Margaret  :)

All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 November 23 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Isabel, I do appreciate you posting the link to John and Blanch's marriage parish record and it's  legible which is wonderful!

I have not tested mtDNA but have tested autosomal DNA with Ancestry and uploaded to MyHeritage and GEDmatch however, because our MCRA (John and Anes/An/Anne) is so distant it's possible, even though we are related we share no DNA.

My line is through John and Blanch's daughter Constance Dennythorne Bap.14 Oct 1674 St Gluvias the Martyr and Esdras Giddy (1669 - 1726) They married 3 Jan 1698 Liskeard Cornwall:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=710130.18

I have no idea why Constance married in her husband's parish of Liskeard and not her own.

Now, as for being a rare species, as long as we don't become critically endangered all will be well ;)

Margaret :)

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 November 23 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Osprey for clarifying that, I'll note the link for future reference.
Margaret

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 November 23 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

It's worth comparing our kits on GedMatch as it can go down to quite small numbers.  Mine is A861555 and my mother's is A417775.

Isabel
Wilkie (Roxburgh)