Author Topic: UK Citizen Death in Aus  (Read 307 times)

Offline Cornelius88

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
UK Citizen Death in Aus
« on: Tuesday 17 October 23 10:58 BST (UK) »
A fairly distant relative died suddenly whilst on a visit to Australia some time between 1976 and 1994, exactly where remains unknown.  He was born in Derbyshire and at one time was a leading figure with the Young Farmers Clubs; attempts to trace him through them have met with no response.  Any relatives who may have known him have moved and most likely passed on.

Most of the databases deal with deaths of Australian citizens so no luck there.  I have tried to trace him via UK local newspapers obituaries but unfortunately there are several people with the same name also connected with Farming.  However I try to reframe the query finds one of these. 

Has anyone any suggestions as to how I could trace him? 

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: UK Citizen Death in Aus
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 October 23 11:10 BST (UK) »
Have you checked Trove?

https://trove.nla.gov.au/

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 October 23 11:29 BST (UK) »
Was there an administration of his estate ?

Offline Cornelius88

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 October 23 12:21 BST (UK) »
Was there an administration of his estate ?
I have tried looking at Wills and Admons via the .GOV Probate website but no luck for him although I did find his father's Will.  From that it appears the farm was structured as a trust between his mother and father and him and his sister.  After his father's decease I think the trust was between him, his sister and mother, though without full details of the trust I can't be sure. 

At this point - 1981 - he was married but nothing on any Will for him though, which I find surprising. 

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 October 23 12:45 BST (UK) »
Most of the databases deal with deaths of Australian citizens so no luck there.

I don't know what you mean by this.  Every person who dies in Australia will have their death registered in the relevant State regardless of whether they are a citizen or not.  Most States have freely available indexes online but death records are generally closed to the public for 30 years after the date of death and will not be indexed. 

Debra  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 October 23 14:34 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching for him in U.K. overseas deaths? As Dundee has said, there is a limitation on available Australian death records but his death might also be registered on U.K. end. Find My past, and possibly Ancestry, both pay sites, might have a record. Here's Find My Past's search page. Although it's a pay site the free search might show possible options bepending on dates covered-
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/british-armed-forces-and-overseas-deaths-and-burials?ds_kid=39700048641132052&&&&&gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoOiW8Zj9gQMVM4loCR1Hawh6EAAYASAAEgIYh_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 October 23 16:18 BST (UK) »
We would be glad to see if we can help, if you are willing to give us his name and approximate dob.

Offline Cornelius88

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 19:17 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching for him in U.K. overseas deaths? As Dundee has said, there is a limitation on available Australian death records but his death might also be registered on U.K. end. [ SNIP]
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/british-armed-forces-and-overseas-deaths-and-burials?ds_kid=39700048641132052&&&&&gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoOiW8Zj9gQMVM4loCR1Hawh6EAAYASAAEgIYh_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thank you for this and I've finally managed to nail him.  I used the above FindMyPast link which didn't find anything, but FindMyPast helpfully suggested I search the Newsapaper archive and produced a list of finds with the same name, the first of which covered details of his wedding. If it covered his wedding - the bride would be (just) in their circulation area - then maybe it covered his death, so I restricted the search to the same newspaper. 

I found his death in 1996 not in the 1980s as I had been led to believe.  Also it was while he was on the way to Australia and having a stopover in Singapore.  The dangers of relying on anecdotal information but sometimes that's all we have to go on. 

This would also explain why I couldn't find him earlier since I was limiting the search to 1994.  I thought I had allowed a reasonably broad date range but it just goes to show. 

Full details of his death are inside the paper so now to do some further exploration.  Not sure if FindMyPast has copies of full editions, if not the BL should have them.  Now I know when he died I should also be able to find probate details.

Many thanks to all for the help.