Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 22nd October  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 22nd October
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 October 23 15:55 BST (UK) »
RTL, I'm so sorry to hear what a dreadful time you've been having. You've always been a great support to other Rootschatters, myself included, I hope returning to the diary threads helps a little in taking your mind off things.
 :-*
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 20 October 23 16:04 BST (UK) »
Well, was rather anxious re the fore -cast storms, but I slept right  through !
So sorry to see and hear the really bad news affecting other people, and hope the weather changes quickly , we can do so many wonderful things but can’t control the weather.
Sincere good wishes to all affected.

Got in touch with Hobkirks ,once our local ( Bury) sewing machine experts, son sent photos of a tiny spring that seems to have come adrift, I wanted him to ask if they will collect,repair and return, as they are in Blackburn .It probably needs a good overhaul anyway.
He is good at “ fiddling “ and has done quite a few repairs for me,older son is really good too, so now having sent photos of a tiny spring that has come adrift we still need Hobkirks to see it.
I wanted son to ask if they collect and return but he hasn’t!

Lots of rain today here but I feel so sorry for those seriously affected , ,Scotland has it really bad,hope all of you are safe and well in your different areas.

Not sure what to have for tea, have steak, for a stew or casserole and some good butcher’s sausages ( and my vegetarian ones,).
Thank goodness for pressure cookers if I decide on a stew.

Well must get on, kitchen table now littered with a sewing machine ,very small tools and the manual!

I slept on the left side of the bed,and my OH was the quiet reserved one.
People found him a bit dour and moody ,but he reserved judgement and was oh so often right - his face like a kicked in clog - he looked really unfriendly
but eventually the person he was judging quietly, blotted their copy book one way or another .
My daughter is the same, and is invariably right .
I would believe most people O.K until they showed their real colours.

Hope next year is better for those who have had and are having tough times one way or another, so much comes at once very often.
RootsChat has been and is a great help. Especially The Diaries.

Cheerio, keep safe.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 20 October 23 17:16 BST (UK) »
So sorry to hear RTL of your family predicament and like others hope you all get through and out the other side by Christmas/ New Year. It’s always nice to hear from those who don’t post very often to know they’re still ok and have certainly been missed by us all.
How through covid we all kept one another going has been an inspirational experience and just goes to show that communication is vital even with those who are only known by their RC nom de plumes!
Thank you to those who hoped we had a nice break in the Cotswolds, we did… apart from the weather and a journey there that took us twice as long! The continual rain didn’t dampen our spirits, only the wonderful view of the valley towards Stroud!
The hotel was magnificent a real comfy home from home relaxed atmosphere, nothing too much for the cheerful staff. The food was the best I’ve eaten all sourced within a 35 mile radius.
We had a nostalgic drive to Cheltenham where we lived 50 years ago visiting all our old haunts… most of which we found without too much trouble!
The town itself has changed enormously unsurprisingly and is a busy place with The Prom ( main shopping area) very up market.

Hope everyone is not suffering too much with all this rain and wind, it’s always October we seem to get these storms… half term coming up too.

Take care

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 October 23 19:13 BST (UK) »
Just to cheer you up (and make you hungry again!), last night's main course was:
Spaghettoni with  mushroom "meatballs", with creamy butternut squash and chilli sauce.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 October 23 19:25 BST (UK) »
RTL sorry to hear you’re going through so many things atm. Stay as positive as you can.
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 October 23 19:33 BST (UK) »
K, that sounds  nice, just got back in after using a voucher at a big chain, took our grandaughter,  we has lasagne, she had  a vegetarian  one but it did look nice,  shame none wanted a sweet, so couldn't  be the only one.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 22 October 23 17:54 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this is the last entry for this week’s diary.

Church this morning, my husband’s anniversary .
The second hymn was “ Make me a channel of your peace”, I chose it for his funeral service, he was so calm and quiet,never flustered .
I was thinking about him of course, it was upsetting but I know he was spared so much, the total suddenness -even though a serious heart condition
meant he had so little time ,six months predicted at his routine check up the previous day, but actually the next day!

It was merciful, he deserved no less.

Let’s hope the weather improves so the poor souls affected can at least clear up , we are really only in Autumn and yet such bad weather already.

Not heard from my little friend, she can’t negotiate my phone, it has protection against unwanted calls etc, so I called on my way home from Church, she is ill,  her daughter is coming from Cumbria tomorrow so she must be really ill, that hardly ever happens.
We will see, what a poor existence she has.

Eldest son came today, I gave him some slightly outdated eggs for the hedgehog that visits his garden.
I don’t like to use them.
They were lovely dark brown ones too.
I don’t get hedgehogs in my garden ,but a strong solid fence all round precludes them getting access.
I love them, so harmless.

Well Salmon in lemon and pepper sauce, new potatoes  ,green  beans and peas.
I don’t do desserts,son hasn’t a sweet tooth, but he might like a piece of BaraBrith  buttered with coffe later.

Well a new week tomorrow, hope all with problems get some ease and health problems abate.
Look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 22 October 23 19:00 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, Use by dates on eggs are just a guide. Put out of date eggs in a bowl of water, if they float dispose of them, if they stay on the bottom they are perfectly fine to eat.

That is a well known fact, doing that I have never had a bad one yet.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 22 October 23 19:27 BST (UK) »
Yes Viktoria,  tomorrow starts  a new week and who can believe it will  soon be November.

Been a really beautiful day today, pity the clocks change next week.

Last year for my 80th I was given a champagne  afternoon tea at a very nice place  locally, today was the expiry date, I had forgotten about it, anyway we went along today, all  very nice, my husband wasn't keen, not enough savoury,  too much sweet,  I enjoyed it  but it was far to much to eat, no evening eats for us tonight.

Viktoria,  "make me a channel" is  one of my most favourite hymns but not many of our relations I don't  think,  are church goers, so not much singing at my funeral, I would been to pick  more known hymns.

With that thought in mind I am going to sign off.

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London