Author Topic: Fostering 1915 to 1917  (Read 255 times)

Offline AR14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fostering 1915 to 1917
« on: Tuesday 17 October 23 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,
        To all,hoping i can get some advice on what i am loking for.
My Aunt Ethel Edna Hearn Page was born in KingsLynn 25/10/1915,no father recorded,her mothers name was Ethel Page.(Hotel Waitress).My query is ,in 1916 or 17 Ethel was fostered out to a family of farm servants in Fife or Angus Scotland,i have been trying so hard to find out how Ethel landed up so far from her birth place,the family (my grandparents)had no connection with England at all or with Ethels mother or her family.My thoughts are with the Presbyterian Church could they be the ones that transported Ethel up to Scotland?as my Grandparents were very much into the church,and also taking in fatherless children(my dad included).
I truly hope that my plea for guidance can be answered.
Thank you for reading.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fostering 1915 to 1917
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 23 14:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!
I think I have found a record for your aunt being baptised at the age of 3 years, so if this is her then, she must have spent at least the first three years with her mother Ethel Page. However there is a slight difference in her name, as it is down as Ethel Emma Hearn Page, as it has the vital Hearn part in her name I think this must be her. Maybe the unknown father had the surname of Hearn. It is also 20 days out on the birth date, but this could be a mistake when the record was input. Has her down as 5th October 1915 instead of 25th. She was baptised on either the 13th or 15th November 1918-there are two versions. At the time she was 3 years old and living with her mother- West Silverton, St Barnabas, Essex.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline AR14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 23 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,
       Thank you so much for your very helpful information i really appreciated it.
Paco would it be possible for you to advise me where to look for Ethels baptism record,as i believe too that this is Ethel and mistakes were made on name and birth date.I managed to get her birth certificate online,so 25/10/1915 and Edna are correct.
my quest now is to find out how on earth she managed to land up in Scotland,i would have thought it would have been very traumatic for her mother and Ethel.In 1921 i found Ethel and my dad at school in Arbirlot Forfarshire,Ethel 6 my dad 7.
PS.. my grandparents must have destroyed Ethel and my dads birth certs., as they did'nt have one.
Thank you once again for your help..Take Care.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 14:02 GMT (UK) »
If you have got a copy of her birth certificate it should have her full Christian names on it. If you haven't actually got a copy the details for getting one are; Dec.Qtr. 1915/Volume 4b/Page 449/Kings Lynn. Ethel E H Page.
With regards to her baptism, a copy can be purchased online from Essex Archives-- Details Reference no. D/P513/1/3 or D/P 513/1/2
Parish Records/Baptisms 1917-1922/West Silverton, St Barnabas.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline AR14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again fr your info.,yes i do have a copy of Ethels birth cert., also of her baptism,2 mistakes on the baptism,but i suppose easy done as she was 3yrs old when baptised.
i am at the moment looking into whether she was evacuated to  Scotland after being baptised,as all dates seem to fit in.At the moment i am waiting for an answer from the department i wrote to.
Thank you again.