Author Topic: Diocesan High School for Girls-Derby  (Read 1157 times)

Offline joker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Diocesan High School for Girls-Derby
« on: Saturday 10 September 05 05:11 BST (UK) »
I have a  beautiful book of Beethoven's Sonatas given to my grandmother in 1888.....received for "excellence in music" from S.Constantine, Principal of the Diocesan High School for Girls, on Charnwood Street, Derby.   I have searched for this school for years, and can find no reference to it. Has anyone heard of this school?  My grandmother would have been about 15 years old then, and they lived in Duffield, Derbyshire....
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Joker
CARNALL of Derbyshire & Leicester; WARD & ADAMS of Buckinghamshire; MELLOR of Leicester; DUNLOP, ROBINSON, McCOY of Northern Ireland; PRATT, CHAMBERS, VANES and CARNAHAN of Ireland...and New Zealand.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diocesan High School for Girls-Derby
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 September 05 23:12 BST (UK) »
How lovely to have that!

Here is the 1891 census entry for S Constantine

18 Charnwood Street
Joseph Constantine,head,m,42,railway official,Leicestershire,Leicester
Sarah Constantine,wife,m,46,principal of girls school,ditto,ditto
Mary Bennett,m in l,w,69.Leics,Syston
Susannah Rhodes,protegee,s,17,Durham,Newcastle on Tyne
France Everitt,boarder,s,25,English teacher in girls school,Essex,Elmstead
Fanny J Benson,boarder,s,23,ditto,Warwicks,Birmingham
Edith Clarke,boarder,s,21,ditto,Essex,Dovercourt
Mary Wilkenson,boarder,s,13,scholar,Derbys,Ilkeston
fanny D Heape,visitor,s,17,scholar,Staffs,Burton on Trent
Fanny Whitehouse,serv,s,18,general servant domestic,Yorks,Sheffield

Rg12-2728/132

You can find them in 1881 at www.familysearch.org and those years should bracket your grandmothers time there. By 1901 the Constantines had moved to Stone Hill, St Chads Road, Derby and Joseph was a railway official assistent to superintendent, Sarah was no longer listed as involved with a school.
Sorry, but I can't find anything about the school apart from that. You could try Derby Record Office.

All census information is Crown Copywright
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Diocesan High School for Girls-Derby
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 05 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much....I didnt try the census, cause it was the school NOT the school principal I was interested in. However, it is interesting that her husband was with the railway.  Annie Mary Carnall who got the book---her father also worked all his life for the railway.   (guess it's not what you know, but who you know, eh?).
Thanks. JoKer
CARNALL of Derbyshire & Leicester; WARD & ADAMS of Buckinghamshire; MELLOR of Leicester; DUNLOP, ROBINSON, McCOY of Northern Ireland; PRATT, CHAMBERS, VANES and CARNAHAN of Ireland...and New Zealand.