Author Topic: Family member  (Read 852 times)

Offline swillliams

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family member
« on: Wednesday 18 October 23 01:09 BST (UK) »
I am researching a family member from silkstone, Barnsley.

Name Arthur Hunter 1875-1916

Does anyone know if there are any pictures of him in good quality, as the one I have is from a newspaper clipping from his death

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Family member
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 October 23 19:39 BST (UK) »
All I can suggest if no relatives of  Arthur Hunter 1875-1916 use Rootschat is either put a notice in the local Barnsley newspaper asking if any anyone is descended from Arthur or look on ancestry or FindMyPast to see if anyone has a family tree with Arthur ( free Ancestry or FindMyPast free entery in some libraries)  in their tree and contact them through the website mail or PM
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline swillliams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 October 23 19:40 BST (UK) »
Ah yes I have tried ancestry no luck, I’m not in the Barnsley area as I’m from wales but I can try that

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 October 23 22:13 BST (UK) »
Are you on Facebook?  There's a "Heritage Silkstone" page.  I see some of their posts now and again, graveyard transcriptions, photos etc.  Might be worth a look. 
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline swillliams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 October 23 22:14 BST (UK) »
I will have a look I think I did see that group

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 October 23 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Remember say ~ post 1920 and 1939 register may just have living people on it and will have to use PM's

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other rootschat members maybe able to pick up on info in the links below to help you.

Sign in or register in first link below

https://www.familysearch.org/en/united-kingdom/

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X954-L58

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWK9-Q7X

Then go on ancestry website either in a library for free acces or subscribe as a paid member

Find my fast free access in some libaries of paid member ~ has the 1921 census and both websies have the 1939 register.

(Sorry!!! Its 6.35 am here in Yorkshire and I've just got up for a drink - so this post is in the ruff-   :-[   ;D)

Just a after thought or few  ideas to find any descendants of Arthur

Arthur's grave may have a headstone with other family member death inscriptions on it his epitaph or near family grave in Silkstone churchyard..

Find out what Arthur died of in his death certificate to start with.

Looking at Arthur's life dates 1875 - 1916 = died aged 41. Died at a middle age would suggest either his death related to World War 1 as a member of armed forces were there would be military records or related photo's, or an accident that could have newspaper records of the event or poor health and hospital records.

His baptism or birth certificate with parents in Silkstone abode/address or if Arthur married with his occupation and fathers name with his  occupation and addresses that may be on the 1911 census. If he had any children and their baptisms with a church parish register with his relatives who maybe on the 1939 register with info and his ( if any) subsequent marriages,  leading to latter-date descendants or grandchildren of Arthur.

Normally its about tracing back but in this case tracing forward to a descendant who may have a photo of Arthur.

Newspapers in Barnsley / Rotherham / Huddersfield libraries may have a funeral notice or newspaper memorial notice  or online newspapers.

Kelly's directories 1900 to 1916 or later if he had a wife and electoral registers in the Slikstone/Barnsley area in latter years.

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 October 23 06:57 GMT (UK) »

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 October 23 20:21 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree for a man who appears to the same person you are looking for on Ancestry.  Arthur, according to the tree, died in France in 1916. There is a lot of information on the tree but no photo. Perhaps it would be worth contacting the tree owner to see if you can help each other.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 October 23 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Arthur’s death is reported in both the Sheffield Evening and Daily Telegraphs. I don’t think the local paper the Barnsley Chronicle is on line. They were living in May Terrace Dodworth Road Barnsley.