Author Topic: Will of John Hampton, 1695  (Read 407 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will of John Hampton, 1695
« on: Wednesday 18 October 23 15:57 BST (UK) »
I have been transcribing the inventory associated with this will, which is written in a quite clear hand. I am interested in what is meant by some of the items listed, assuming that I have actually transcribed them correctly in the first place.

First is Tables Fourme. This appears several times in the list, sometimes as Table fourme, and there is a single reference to One Table Two fourmes one Coffer

Second, a reference to Six Segg Chaires & a Joyne Stoole

Lastly, there's a Candle Stick Links Chever Fender Skimmer and Cushin

My feeling is that a Fourme may be a bench of some description, but what the rest is escapes me.

Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will of John Hampton, 1695
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 19:33 BST (UK) »
My feeling is that a Fourme may be a bench of some description, but what the rest is escapes me.

I remember from primary school in the 1960s that a bench was sometimes referred to as a form, possibly more by some of the other children than the teachers. This was in Yorkshire, and it might have been a local term - I've no memory of hearing it anywhere else.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 22:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'd say it's 'form'.
You get this a lot in inventories.

A fender went around the edge of the hearth to stop the wood falling out onto the floor.
A 'joyne stool' will be one made with joints.
usually used with “joyne stoole(s)” meaning a stool(s) made by a carpenter usually with four turned legs and of a joined construction - fixed with wooden pegs
https://www.shakespeare.org.uk/explore-shakespeare/blogs/shakespeare-100-objects-joint-stool/

I don't know about 'segg stool', but if you Google it, (with the inverted commas), the term certainly turns up in other inventories.
'Links' may be just that - metal links, possibly like a chain for the fire rack?
The iron bars across the large old-fashioned open chimneys ; once common
in cottages and farmhouses, and from which hung a few links of chain to
hold the pothooks. On one of these the kettle or cast-iron pot was
suspended

And a 'cushin' probably a cushion.
A 'skimmer' was a tool to skim liquids such as milk, or fat from gravy etc.
I've not come across 'Chever' before. I wonder if it's meant to be 'cliever', (cleaver), ?

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 23:49 BST (UK) »
One of the references to segg returned by Google listed a segg mat. The Shorter OED cros-references seg with sedge, so I wonder if segg is perhaps a derivative of sedge, and refers to a chair with a woven seat made from sedge or rushes?
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 October 23 01:08 BST (UK) »
There's certainly references to sedge seats for chairs mezentia, so it may be that.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 October 23 09:06 BST (UK) »
I remember from primary school in the 1960s that a bench was sometimes referred to as a form, possibly more by some of the other children than the teachers. This was in Yorkshire, and it might have been a local term - I've no memory of hearing it anywhere else.

My mother, Somerset born and bred, also used "form" for "bench".

David

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 October 23 11:31 BST (UK) »

At primary school here in New Zealand, also in the 1960s we also had 'forms', backless long wooden seats that four or five children could sit on.