Author Topic: Newport Tithe Map Online?  (Read 278 times)

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Newport Tithe Map Online?
« on: Wednesday 18 October 23 18:25 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if the tithe map(s) for the Newport area are available online as a journey to the Archives at Shrewsbury is quite a jaunt.

I'm interested in the area south of the town: Chetwynd Aston, Pave Lane, Woodcote etc.

Many thanks

Paul

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newport Tithe Map Online?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 19:46 BST (UK) »
The Genealogist has a good collection of tithe maps, with links to the lists of names etc. Chetwynd Aston and Woodcote appear to be included, though it's sometimes hard to tell if every sheet covering a parish is there.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 20:14 BST (UK) »
The Genealogist has a good collection of tithe maps, with links to the lists of names etc. Chetwynd Aston and Woodcote appear to be included, though it's sometimes hard to tell if every sheet covering a parish is there.
Thanks for the reply. I did look at that site but I couldn't make head nor tale of it and there didn't seem to be a way to buy a single item, it all appeared to be subscription based.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 20:44 BST (UK) »
This is the page with subscription info:

https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/compare/

I couldn't see it mentioned here, but at Genfair (a sister site) you can buy a voucher for a 6 month Diamond subscription, which appears to be the level you need to view tithe records.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 October 23 07:33 BST (UK) »
Ah, ok thanks for the info.

Paul