Author Topic: Margaret Rooney 1888 - Birth/Baptism Lookup  (Read 1511 times)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Rooney 1888 - Birth/Baptism Lookup
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Although I’ve not made much progress getting Maggie’s birth or baptism, I’ve managed to get a hold of her death certificate on the GRO index. When I tried it a few months ago I could only get the PDF version. Luckily the digital version was available for much cheaper  ;).

She didn’t die straightaway after my ggmother’s birth like I thought; rather she died a few days after, 16 Mar 1914 at 5 Brick Row, Bedlington Bank Top.

Her cause of death was acute lomar pneumonia as well as heart failure. Ellen Rooney was present for death.

And I finally have a range for Patrick Docherty’s death. I got a hold of James Docherty’s death cert, he died 31 Jan 1917 from pneumonia, and Patrick his father is listed as deceased.
Bell, Keogh, McIntyre, Muldoon, Rooney, Conroy, Storey, Burrell, Gibson (Northumberland)
Campbell, Myers, Henderson, Ford, Lewis (Durham)
Rooney, Green (Lanarkshire)
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 December 23 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Had you thought about looking at James Docherty’s birth certificate to see how the father is recorded?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 December 23 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Neale

I did get James’ certificate, unfortunately there was nothing mentioned about Patrick’s status.

There was a death that matched name and age wise for him in Newcastle in 1908, but it wasn’t him.

Time for another look on ScotlandsPeople! There is a death I’ve spotted in 1910. If Patrick Docherty was in Scotland then the Rooney’s mightn’t have known about his death. (Explaining why Maggie isn’t widowed on the 1911 census)
Bell, Keogh, McIntyre, Muldoon, Rooney, Conroy, Storey, Burrell, Gibson (Northumberland)
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 December 23 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I’ve just found Margaret’s baptism!  :D
By pure chance at that too.

I was on findmypast searching up all baptisms and births of Patrick Green’s siblings, and I was on the page of his sister Elizabeth, and just happened to see “John Rooney & Ellen Conroy” a bit further down. What are the chances?

Margaret born 9 May 1888, baptised 10 Jul 1888 at St Bridget, Baillieston. Witnesses Thomas & Mary Jane Fleming.

So the newspaper article announcing a daughter to Mr John Rooney in Widdrington Steads is her. I wonder if she wasn’t registered in England because they moved right after her birth.

I know from the 1911 census that Ellen and John had theee children who died at birth. One was born in Northumberland but I’m wondering if the other two possibly have baptisms in Scotland.
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 December 23 20:39 GMT (UK) »
That's good news. It is strange that the baptism is not showing on Scotlands People.
From where has FindMyPast sourced it?
Does an image of the original record show, or is it a transcript?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 December 23 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Neale

FindMyPast lists the source as “Scotland Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms” from the Scottish Catholic Archives.

There is an original image of the record as well as a transcript. It is strange as I did manage to locate Patrick Green’s baptism, and his was archived from the same source (yet I couldn’t get his siblings ones). I wonder if Scotlands People stopped listing baptisms from that source after a certain year?
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 11 December 23 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Very odd - I don't know the answer?

According to their website, their records are available on Scotlands People
https://www.scottishcatholicarchives.org.uk/Home/Genealogy

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Having a look at ScotlandsPeople, it seems that not every church has been archived regarding RC baptisms.

Patrick was baptised in St Paul, Glasgow which does appear in the list of parishes but St Bridget, Baillieston doesn’t.
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I noticed the same thing. Maybe SP has some catch-up work to do ;)