Author Topic: Can anyone please date the Morris lorry in this photo?  (Read 326 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone please date the Morris lorry in this photo?
« on: Thursday 19 October 23 17:47 BST (UK) »
This lorry was one of two owned by my great grandfather Leonard Beauchamp, in Leicester. He began his lorry-owning career as a coal merchant. He never learned to drive: his two sons were his drivers,  and older son Harold was his personal chauffeur too, often taking the family in Leonard's posh car on Sunday trips to visit relatives of Leonard's wife Ada (Harold's mother) in her native Warwickshire. (Ada and Leonard met when their parents farmed at adjoining farms near Henley in Arden around 1900).

I think that the lorry may have been new in this photo, maybe just bought from the garage (Hamshaws).
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone please date the Morris lorry in this photo?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 23 20:47 BST (UK) »
It's a Morris FC 3 ton, produced between about 1955 to 1958 I think. Some details here: https://www.britishtelephones.com/vehicles/flatbeds/049.htm

It had a big brother named the FE whioch had a 7 ton carrying capacity. https://www.motor-car.net/morris/item/22858-morris-fe

More here: http://www.simoncars.co.uk/morriscv/morrisfj.html

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 October 23 20:50 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D  Someone loved it - it is VERY CLEAN!!

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 October 23 20:55 BST (UK) »

Wiggy
Since it's sitting outside the Morris production line at Cowley  the premises of HA Hamshaw Ltd at 87 Humberstone Gate, Leicester and has not yet had a front registration plate fitted, I'd say this photo was taken on the day it was collected, so it's brand new with just  a couple of miles on the clock.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 October 23 21:37 BST (UK) »

Wiggy
Since it's sitting outside the Morris production line at Cowley  the premises of HA Hamshaw Ltd at 87 Humberstone Gate, Leicester and has not yet had a front registration plate fitted, I'd say this photo was taken on the day it was collected, so it's brand new with just  a couple of miles on the clock.

Good observation there.   I didn't notice those details!    ;D :-[
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 October 23 21:42 BST (UK) »

Wiggy

Thanks Andy, I’ll follow your links to the vehicles. I was pretty sure that I’d seen a photo of one of the Beauchamp lorries before, but many years ago. This photo I took a photo of today on a visit to the widow of Leonard’s son, Selwyn. (I couldn’t remember ever seeing her, which isn’t surprising. She could just remember me. This meeting actually took place about a couple years before your suggested date when the photo was taken! We hadn’t met again until today! She is my cousin once removed.)

Mary (Selwyn’s widow) did mention that the Hamshaw’s garage in the photo was in Parker Drive. Maybe that was their commercial vehicles department?

Dave  :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight