Author Topic: Surname used as a middle name  (Read 2127 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Surname used as a middle name
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 October 23 23:21 BST (UK) »
I have a William Warden Walder in my tree, I think the middle name was after the local aristocrat, Warden Sergison/Sargison.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 21 October 23 01:11 BST (UK) »
I guess in one way our male line was lucky.  My great grandfathers surname was James, with my grandfather named James Arthur James.  The James has followed through many lines as a middle name. 
Another great grandfather surname was Vincent and two times grandparents with surnames of Williams and Ellis.  Ellis has continued as a name.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 21 October 23 11:50 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother ‘s maiden surname was Cordley.
She was born and lived and died in Lincolnshire, Pinchbeck Fen .
A large family with many sons and just two daughters , one being my paternal great grandmother .
Five of her sons and their wives and children emigrated to N,S, W. In the 1850’s, never to return.
The goldfields of Bathurst and Sofala.
She had a younger son who had as his middle name, her maiden name ,I wish I had known when my sons were being baptised, I would have used it
as it has a dignity which I must admit is probably because I know if my G G grandmother’s immense fortitude when her son died and others were in N.S.W. And the eldest preparing to emigrate also, he was a Methodist Preacher.Henry Cole. The family tree out there is immense.
She died alone .
Viktoria.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 21 October 23 12:45 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother ‘s maiden surname was Cordley.
She was born and lived and died in Lincolnshire, Pinchbeck Fen .
A large family with many sons and just two daughters , one being my paternal great grandmother .
Five of her sons and their wives and children emigrated to N,S, W. In the 1850’s, never to return.
The goldfields of Bathurst and Sofala.
She had a younger son who had as his middle name, her maiden name ,I wish I had known when my sons were being baptised, I would have used it
as it has a dignity which I must admit is probably because I know if my G G grandmother’s immense fortitude when her son died and others were in N.S.W. And the eldest preparing to emigrate also, he was a Methodist Preacher.Henry Cole. The family tree out there is immense.
She died alone .
Viktoria.

I have some ancestors from just down the road from Pinchbeck. From the villages of Fosdyke and Algarkirk and Wigtoft.

My ancestor Thomas Roberts was quite hard to find due to his common surname but as more records came online it became easier. He was married twice and wed his first wife in Ireland and 2nd wife in London. He had 2 children with Goodacre as a middle name, one by his first wife, and one by his 2nd wife. Was very handy in tracking down the right Thomas.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 21 October 23 13:23 BST (UK) »

I have some ancestors from just down the road from Pinchbeck. From the villages of Fosdyke and Algarkirk and Wigtoft.

So do I; Merryweather, Felts and Williamson, from Pinchbeck and Pode Hole, later Gosberton and Spalding also. Sorting out the various Merryweathers almost caused me to tear out what little is left of my hair. Several families with the same first names often repeated in each of them, but the surname spelt in so many different ways, even amongst various records relating to the same person or family. I ended up doing a one name study of the whole area to try and work how who belonged to whom and where. Mostly successful!
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 21 October 23 15:19 BST (UK) »

So do I; Merryweather, Felts and Williamson, from Pinchbeck and Pode Hole, later Gosberton and Spalding also. Sorting out the various Merryweathers almost caused me to tear out what little is left of my hair. Several families with the same first names often repeated in each of them, but the surname spelt in so many different ways, even amongst various records relating to the same person or family. I ended up doing a one name study of the whole area to try and work how who belonged to whom and where. Mostly successful!

I descend from the Roper, Field and Sliford families of the areas. One Lincs ancestor owned land in Nottinghamshire. This was before middle names became more popular though. A Colchester resident Essex ancestor mentioned her relatives in Lincolnshire in her will.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 21 October 23 15:31 BST (UK) »
I have a number of interconnected families where the name Alison/Allison/Allinson is a MALE forename - all within the West Riding.

Plus:

Wadsworth as a forename, and also Firth - all the above as part of the Appleyard family.  Plus Fairbank in my Kendall collection.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 21 October 23 19:52 BST (UK) »
I can’t get to my records as my son is here temporarily, —— a year and four months and has had to takeover the bedroom with the walk in closet where all my records are ,but Williamson rings a bell,a young woman who was married to one of the Coles who emigrated on board “ The Harriet “1853 if memory serves me correctly.She sailed with her husband and his two brothers and their families.
Passenger lists are available but it is such a long time since I researched that I have forgotten details.

Viktoria.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 21 October 23 23:06 BST (UK) »
I can’t get to my records as my son is here temporarily, —— a year and four months and has had to takeover the bedroom with the walk in closet where all my records are ,but Williamson rings a bell,a young woman who was married to one of the Coles who emigrated on board “ The Harriet “1853 if memory serves me correctly.She sailed with her husband and his two brothers and their families.
Passenger lists are available but it is such a long time since I researched that I have forgotten details.

Viktoria.

Our Pinchbeck and Algarkirk ancestors lived not far from the Norfolk/Lincolnshire border as well.

I have a George Forster Wilson in my tree, his mother a Forster from Tanfield, Co Durham.

Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix