Author Topic: Frank Luker  (Read 270 times)

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frank Luker
« on: Friday 20 October 23 09:32 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help me to find out what happened to Frank.
He was born on 3/3/1870 in St. Clears, Carmathenshire. His parents were William and Belinda Luker.
His parents died within days of each other in Lillingstone Dayrell, Buckinghamshire. A photo of their grave can be found online, no mention of Frank. William's father, John Luker (my great grandfather) registered both deaths. Their daughter, Annie, had died 6yrs earlier. The eldest son, Frederick went to boarding school in Godalming, and the two younger boys went to live with two of William's siblings in Battersea. I have been able to follow all three through to their deaths. Frank appears on the 1871 census with the rest of the family.
I have checked out a death for a Frank Luker in 1873 in Chertsey. His father's name was George so not the Frank that I am looking for.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Luker
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 October 23 11:58 BST (UK) »
There are three Frank Luker births registered 1868-1879.  The one born in Chertsey is George's son who died in 1873.  Frank Margetts Luker born in Kensington in 1868 is fairly easy to trace through the records, and lived into the 20th century.

However, there is a Frank Luker who is a  corporal in the 19th Hussars at Aldershot Cavalry Barracks in 1891, aged 22, born in Battersea.  There doesn't seem to be a corresponding birth registration for this man - and perhaps he names Battersea because he grew up there?

Sergeant Frank Luker, aged 22 of the 19th Hussars died 9 August 1892 in Bangalore, India. "Deeply mourned and greatly beloved".   There  are notices of this in The Western Gazette and The Southern Times and Dorset County Herald

on 2 September 1892.  William Henry Luker's family were from that part of the country.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 October 23 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I think this is a strong connection. His younger brothers went to live in Battersea. John went into the Marines and Walter went into the navy. The elder brother also went into the navy. He was only 8 when is parents died in 1878 so should be somewhere on an 1881 census but certainly doesn't appear with either of his brothers. I have checked through on other Uncles and Aunts and he doesn't appear to be with any of them.
Are the newspaper references from Ancestry or Find my past? I haven't been able to locate them on Ancestry.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 October 23 14:54 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast.  If you don't have a sub, you should be able to find them on the British Newspaper Archive site. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 October 23 10:10 BST (UK) »
Here's a snip from the Western Gazette, Friday,  Sept. 2, 1892

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 October 23 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you. :)