Author Topic: Donald McLeod and Isobel McLeod parents of William McLeod 1822 Edderton, ROC  (Read 336 times)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I've looked into the parents of William McLeod and the most likely appears to be Donald McLeod and Isobel Rule married in Alness 14 August 1812.  How common is it for baptisms to use married name for spouse eg. Isobel McLeod rather than Isobel Rule?

I found John McLeod 02/01/1814 Edderton with parents Donald McLeod and Isobel McLeod.  This might be a christening date rather than a birth date.

This introduced a new wrinkle. 

Hints indicate they had a son John McLeod 745 Dunbar Road MERRIGUM, Victoria, Australia (McLeods Homestead):
Birth:   Sep 2 1813 - Kincardine, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland (I couldn't find it on Scotland's People)
Death:   Aug 24 1903 - "Valley Field," Mooropna, Victoria, Australia
Parents:   Donald Mcleod, Isobel Mcleod (born Rule)
Sister:   Margaret Ann Mcleod
Wife:   Janet Mcleod (born Ross)
Children:   Walter Mcleod, Alexander Mcleod, Isabella Thomson (born Mcleod), Donald Mcleod

This John's wife Janet was born Achnacarran which I believe is close to Loch Awe.  Are the hints likely to be correct or not?  I been trying to find more on the parents: Donald is 61 in 1851 and was born in Edderton.  His son William is 27 in 1851.  Daughter Janet is 31 born in Kincardine, ROC.   His niece is Isabella Graham.  In same location there is a John McLeod aged 29 born in Kincardine, ROC and married to Margaret McKenzie.  To me this proves the Australian John is not from the same family as William but does it prove Isobel Rule is not Isobel McLeod?  I could not find Donald McLeod's death but his son William was married to Jane (might be neighbour Janet) Ross in Logie-Easter and moved to Kilmuir-Easter.  Any help with finding Donald's death date and location would be appreciated.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Donald McLeod and Isobel McLeod parents of William McLeod 1822 Edderton, ROC
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 October 23 17:54 BST (UK) »
A hint is just that - it's not a fact.  You need to look at what info you know for sure to be correct & not try & make things "match" up

You could waste a lot of time & effort - particularly with a surname like McLeod in Scotland
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Donald McLeod and Isobel McLeod parents of William McLeod 1822 Edderton, ROC
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 October 23 20:26 BST (UK) »
How common is it for baptisms to use married name for spouse eg. Isobel McLeod rather than Isobel Rule?
Very rare - in fact almost unheard of. There are six recorded baptisms of children to Donald MacLeod and Isabella MacLeod (various spellings) in Easter Ross between 1814 and 1834, and six to another couple of the same names in Uig, Isle of Lewis between 1824 and 1842. There's only one recorded baptism of a child to Donald MacLeod and Isabella Rule.

I found John McLeod 02/01/1814 Edderton with parents Donald McLeod and Isobel McLeod.  This might be a christening date rather than a birth date.
Very likely.

Birth:   Sep 2 1813 - Kincardine, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland (I couldn't find it on Scotland's People)
The birth date might or might not be in the baptism record. It will certainly not be separately recorded.

Are the hints likely to be correct or not?
No. Do not trust 'hints' on commercial web sites like Ancestry, MyHeritage etc. In fact don't trust anything you find online unless it's an image of an original document, and even then be wary.

Donald MacLeod and Isabella MacLeod (various spellings are available) had a son John baptised in Edderton on 2 January 1814. Donald MacLeod and Isabella Rule had a daughter Margaret Ann baptised in Alness on 24 July 1814, not quite seven months later. So Isabella MacLeod and Isabella Rule are not the same person. (And, incidentally, this must call into question the date of birth for John in the Australian 'hint'.)

There is a place called Achnacarron in Argyll, near Kilchrenan on the north side of Loch Awe. See https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NN0522. Do not, however, assume that this is the correct place as there could be others with similar names. You need to find some sort of document to show which parish, or even county, this Janet was born in.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 October 23 21:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 October 23 02:20 BST (UK) »
Son John McLeod was born in Edderton on 2 September 1813 and baptized in 1814.  He married Margaret McKenzie in 1847 in Edderton and they have a child William McLeod 9 months old recorded in the 1851 census.  However, I have not found anything more on him or his family.  It is possible Margaret and William died so I haven't ruled out John going to Australia.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 October 23 10:41 BST (UK) »
The birthplaces are potentially confusing. The thing to bear in mind is that these are all parishes and therefore mutually exclusive unless there have been any boundary changes that have transferred a farm or village into a different parish. However the majority of such changes were later than the times you are looking at, and to the best of my knowledge did not affect Easter Ross.

14 Aug 1812 Donald marries Isobel Rule in Alness
2 Sep 1813 John, son of Isabella Rule, born in Kincardine
2 Jan 1814 John, son of Isobel McLeod, baptised in Edderton
24 Jul 1814 Margaret Ann, daughter of Isabella Rule, baptised in Alness

24 Aug 1903* John, son of Isabella Rule, dies in Australia, born in Kincardine - have you seen his death certificate? Does it confirm his wife's name? What children are listed?

*This date is contradicted by an announcement in The Australasian on 26 September 1903 which reads, "On the 15th September, at his son's residence, Valley Field, Merrigum, John McLeod, aged 90 years. Colonist of 51 years". From which I conclude that he emigrated in 1851 or 1852. Have you found him and family on a passenger list?

I also note various references to McLeods in Valley Field, including a Donald R who had a daughter Violet May and a son Donald R. Have you looked into them?

The John McLeod who married Margaret McKenzie in 1847 is an entirely different John McLeod and a complete red herring.
1850 William, son of John, born in Edderton
31 Mar 1851 John, 29, husband of Margaret and father of William, in census, born Kincardine
7 Apr 1861 John, 40, born Kincardine, with wife Margaret, 52 and son William, 10, both born Edderton, in census in Edderton
2 Apr 1871 John, 48, b Kincardine, Margaret and William in census in Edderton
3 Apr 1881 John, 60,  b Edderton, and wife Margaret in census in Edderton
1886 John McLeod, mother's maiden surname Munro, husband of Margaret McKenzie and father of William McLeod, dies in Edderton

This John McLeod's baptism record, if it ever existed, is not in the surviving records. There are four records of baptisms of other children to Alexander McLeod and Barbara Munro in Kincardine and Croick.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 October 23 13:22 BST (UK) »
Janet McLeod, father's name Walt Ross, mother Catherine McKenzie, died in VIC on 29 April 1895, aged 76, death registered in Kyabram.

From The Australasian, 11 May 1895: On the 29th ult, at her late residence, Kyabram East, Janet, the beloved wife of John McLeod, aged 76 years.

Janet Ross and John McLeod were married in Kincardine and Croick, Ross and Cromarty, on 16 January 1851. Daughter Isabella born in 1855, son Donald, born in 1857, both in Geelong.

In the 1851 census in Golspie, Sutherland, are John Macleod, 34, born Kincardine, Ross and Cromarty; wife Janet, 31, born Rosskeen; son Walter, 3, born Golspie; son Alexander, 8 months, born Golspie. I have not found this family in 1861.

Walter McLeod, son of John McLeod and Janet Ross, died in VIC in 1888, death registered in Kyabram East.

So it does look as if John McLeod, son of Isabella Rule, is the one who married Janet Ross and emigrated to Australia about 1851/1852. If so, then Janet Ross was not born in Argyll, but in Ross and Cromarty, and the hints are wrong.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 October 23 13:44 BST (UK) »

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 October 23 16:54 BST (UK) »
Forforian, thank you for the clarity around the different John McLeod's as I was looking for them both.  The information you have given has helped a great deal, where did you get it from?  I really was confused as I did have both the birth date and baptism for John McLeod who didn't go to Australia but had been used never the less at various sites.  I have many of the Scotland's People death certificates, some marriage certificates, and many 1851 census records.  Often same names, places, and approximate time frame has been very confusing.

I have explained before that I am specifically related to Alexander McLeod born in 1772 in Nigg, ROC died after 1825 (but without a trace).  I wanted to know his parents names or location.  He was married to Christina McCulloch 1779 Nigg, ROC to 12 May 1857 Forres, Moray.  Ann (1801-1851) first child married Andrew McLeod (1796-1855) Nigg, ROC on 20th April 1810.  The dates look wrong because she would have been 9 years old and he would have been 14 but the census and death certificates support some kind of union.  The result is that I am related to most of the McLeods of Easter Ross.

The child of Alexander born in 1826-1875 married Sarah Gerrard.  It is through the Gerrard family that I connect to the Burness (Burns) family closer to your area.  I emailed you many years ago, if you recall.   

My massive project has been to try to find out where all the McLeod in Easter Ross came from.