Author Topic: Edward John Thomas Hunt - Merchant Navy BEM reason.  (Read 199 times)

Offline ErikaClist30

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward John Thomas Hunt - Merchant Navy BEM reason.
« on: Friday 20 October 23 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. I have been desperately searching for a while now for the reason why my great-grandad was awarded a British Empire Medal. He was born in Jersey on 24th June 1896. His discharge number from the merchant navy is 893036. I have searched the archives at Kew, and spoken to the seafarer's registry for documents but nothing is telling me the reason why. He never told my grandad and he really wants to know before it is too late. I know the BEM changed after 1940 to be awarded for gallantry and not meritorious service like the previous years. He was aboard the SS Almonzora at the time surrounding the medal. He went to the palace for the 1942 Birthday Honours.
If there is anyone here that can help me find the reason why, I would be truly grateful. Thank you.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward John Thomas Hunt - Merchant Navy BEM reason.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 23 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to Rootschat  :)
Wikipedia has a list of recipients in the Kings Birthday Honours.
There is an Edward Hunt  fireman, Merchant Navy on the list, so possibly confirming your thoughts , although Hunt is not an unusual surname.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1942_Birthday_Honours#British_Empire_Medal_(BEM)

Under BEM, Civil List.
Hopefully someone else might be able to find more information.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 October 23 16:39 BST (UK) »
Couple of mentions in the National Archives, here is one attached and there is another available but not online   https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9707293

Unsure as to  what all the letters mean, and it does nt solve your original query unfortunately.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline ErikaClist30

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 October 23 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you. I have all of this information, I de-coded the letters and numbers on that medal card. It turns out the number at the end is actually the number they use at the archives in the sea farers registry in Cardiff. I’m in a long process with them to get the records so fingers crossed they hold all the reasons.