Author Topic: James Henry born 1851  (Read 787 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
James Henry born 1851
« on: Friday 20 October 23 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to trace what happened to James Henry. He was visiting at a house where a relative of mine was staying, and I'm curious to find out what happened to him in life as a result.

My only confirmed record of him, is from the 1891 census.

Civil parish   Easington
Ecclesiastical parish   St Mary
Residence Place   Easington, Easington, Durham, England
Registration district   Easington
Sub registration district   Easington
ED, Institution or Vessel   1
Neighbors   View others on page
Piece   4106
Folio   7

He was born approximately 1851 and his birthplace is simply listed as 'Ireland'.

In 1891 he was living in Easington, Durham. He was a visitor in the house of a Benjamin Williams, who was originally from Plymouth.

James is listed as single. He was working as a Masons labourer, as was his host, Benjamin Williams.

Also in the house, listed as a 'housekeeper' is my relative Elizabeth Jane Benson and her two daughters.

James does not appear on any other census that I can find for Elizabeth Jane Benson again.

He's also not any subsequent census with Benjamin Williams again.

I'm wondering if anyone can find a trace of him before or after 1891.

Thank you
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: James Henry born 1851
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 October 23 22:41 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 October 23 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Mason’s labourer from Ireland is named James Henry above but John Henry in your other post.
Which name is correct?

Cheers

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 October 23 23:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry, it's James Henry, not John. I don't know why I wrote John.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 October 23 15:18 BST (UK) »
A James Henry dies in Easington in 1900 age 51.

Name:    Age at Death (in years): 
   HENRY, JAMES        51 
GRO Reference: 1900  D Quarter in EASINGTON  Volume 10A  Page 266
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 October 23 17:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone, I'll look in to that.

Offline Son of Lugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I am inquiring about Sir Edward Richard Henry, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police (London) and fingerprint pioneer.  He was born in 1850 in Shadwell, London.  His parents were Irish and his father was a doctor.  He died in 1931 and was buried in the cemetery of All Souls Church, South Ascot, Berkshire.  Does any member know from what part of Ireland did his parents originate?

Moderator:  Can you please move message to an appropriate site?  I have attempted to send it "All" and your good self and I am informed the Inboxes are full.

Many thanks

Seán (Son of Lugh).
McGee/Magee- Drogheda, Co Louth, Ireland
Kenny, Curran- Termonfeckin, Co Louth, Ireland
Coulter -Co Fermanagh, Ireland
Robinson- Co Tyrone, Ireland

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 15:30 GMT (UK) »

I am inquiring about Sir Edward Richard Henry, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police (London) and fingerprint pioneer.  He was born in 1850 in Shadwell, London.  His parents were Irish and his father was a doctor.  He died in 1931 and was buried in the cemetery of All Souls Church, South Ascot, Berkshire.  Does any member know from what part of Ireland did his parents originate?

Moderator:  Can you please move message to an appropriate site?  I have attempted to send it "All" and your good self and I am informed the Inboxes are full.

Many thanks

Seán (Son of Lugh).

A newspaper obituary in 1931 said that he was the son of Alexander Henry of County Mayo.

Added: There are several 1888 Irish newspaper items as follows:-

LEGAL NOTICES
STATUTORY NOTICE TO CREDITORS.
In the Goods of ALEXANDER HENRY, formerly of 36 Corrig avenue, Kingstown, in the County of Dublin, and late of 74 Eccles street, in the city of Dublin, Medical Doctor, Deceased.

They go on to mention his widow, Mrs Matilda C. Henry of 74 Eccles street and Edward Richard Henry of the Bengal Civil Service.  Similar information is mentioned in the following Will Calendars entry:

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014902/005014902_00170.pdf

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 17:10 GMT (UK) »

... They go on to mention his widow, Mrs Matilda C. Henry of 74 Eccles street and Edward Richard Henry of the Bengal Civil Service.  Similar information is mentioned in the following Will Calendars entry:

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014902/005014902_00170.pdf

The following looks like a possible marriage for a doctor called Alexander Henry to someone called Matilda, it's to a Matilda McManus in Dublin in 1875, in this civil registration of the marriage, Alexander's father was recorded as Edward Henry, deceased, Gent:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1875/11194/8102191.pdf

The St. Mary's Pro Cathedral version of the marriage record mentioned both of Alexander's parents - Edward and Margaret (entry 327):
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=st.mary%27s-pro-cath_mf_1881-1904_ma_0340

Alexander Henry was shown as a widower in the above civil registration of marriage, so presumably his son Edward Richard Henry was born to a previous wife. The 1851 England census showed an 8 month old Edward Richard Henry with his parents Alexander and Maria Henry in Shadwell, Alexander was recorded as a physician (with a comment about Glasgow University in 1840) and the birth places for Alexander and Maria were recorded as Roscommon and Mayo in Ireland respectively.

For information, Alexander Henry's death registration:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1888/06178/4765998.pdf

So in summary, Alexander's reported age in his death registration indicates birth c. 1805, he was born to parents Edward and Margaret Henry, in Co. Mayo or Co. Roscommon (depending on whether you believe the 1931 obituary for Edward Richard Henry or the relevant 1851 England census return. I'm guessing Roscommon).