Author Topic: Three generations of Beauchamps: a few queries  (Read 325 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Three generations of Beauchamps: a few queries
« on: Saturday 21 October 23 08:44 BST (UK) »
This photo is of three generations of the Beauchamp family, latterly of Leicester. Left is Leonard, born in 1874 in Dormston, Worcs. Next to him is wife Ada Louisa, born in Beaudesert, Warwickshire in 1871 (one of the 12 children of farmer William Hickin and his wife Ellen, all of whom lived into adulthood). Next to Ada is daughter-in-law Olive, then Leonard and Ada’s son, Selwyn (born in Walmley Ash, Warks.) and beside him, his wife, Sarah, holding her niece’s hand. (Sarah died not long ago, aged 105.)

In front of Selwyn is his niece Brenda (born 1932). She was the daughter of Olive and Selwyn’s brother Harold (who was behind the camera). Harold was born in 1905 in Bledington, Gloucestershire. This was one of the ancestral villages of the Beauchamps (Leonard’s grandfather was born there in 1815 and Leonard’s father was born in Lower Swell in 1840), but I think that Harold was born in Bledington because Leonard was working there at the time as a farm bailiff (a job he probably heard about through family in the area).

I wonder how old Brenda is here? Also, any suggestions as to why her legs were bandaged (apparently they often were in her childhood). As for the location, is that wall behind them a harbour or sea wall?

Everyone is smiling here. Appearances can clearly be deceptive. Leonard and Ada fought like cat and dog, it seems, and he spent much time in exile in his stable when he was a farm manager (in the years before he became a haulier). Ada and Leonard moved a good deal in the earlier years of their marriage, due, I am told, to her upsetting the neighbours with her tongue. It seems that she was a very generous person but had a fiery temper, whereas Leonard was very laid-back, but so mean that he could have given a Scotsman lessons. 😂

(I posted a photo of Ada and Leonard a while ago:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=854357.0  )

Dave  :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Three generations of Beauchamps: a few queries
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 23 11:35 BST (UK) »
Brenda looks about 9/10 & the bandages may be because of eczema.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 October 23 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave, Hope you don't mind but I gave your photo a clean.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 October 23 07:37 BST (UK) »
Brenda looks about 9/10 & the bandages may be because of eczema.

Thanks Jim. She didn’t suffer from eczema as an adult, but maybe she had a case of childhood eczema which spontaneoudly resolved. I did wonder whether it might have been related to scarlet fever, which she had (though I don’t know at what age), but reading up on it, legs don’t seem to be mentioned as a rash-affected area.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 October 23 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave, Hope you don't mind but I gave your photo a clean.
Carol

No, it is kind of you to take the trouble. Nice result.

Dave :)