Author Topic: Tracing vanished ancestor  (Read 1635 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing vanished ancestor
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 October 23 23:04 BST (UK) »
Where was your grandmother born?

Where and when did her mother die?

Have you checked for poor relief claims?

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 October 23 00:36 BST (UK) »
Where was your grandmother born?

Where and when did her mother die?

Have you checked for poor relief claims?

Patrick moved down to Northumberland in 1910 and briefly stayed there until he was enlisted in 1914. Ggmother was born at Bebside Furnace, and her mother died in childbirth and was buried St Cuthbert’s Bedlington.

I haven’t checked for poor relief claims, I will do that  :)

I’ve tried looking through newspaper articles as he is mentioned a lot from 1903-07 for committing crimes whilst in Lanarkshire, but he does not show up after Nov 1913.
Bell, Keogh, McIntyre, Muldoon, Rooney, Conroy, Storey, Burrell, Gibson (Northumberland)
Campbell, Myers, Henderson, Ford, Lewis (Durham)
Rooney, Green (Lanarkshire)
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 October 23 01:06 BST (UK) »
I think I might’ve just found him. ???
1939, Patrick Green born 15 Apr 1876, 158 A. Plumstead High St. (Woolwich Institution) London, Farmworker.

How’d he get there?  ;D

Contradictory that his relationship status is mentioned as single instead of widowed.
Bell, Keogh, McIntyre, Muldoon, Rooney, Conroy, Storey, Burrell, Gibson (Northumberland)
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 October 23 01:10 BST (UK) »
Are you aware that Patrick Green had joined the military in 1895?
71st Highland Light Infantry - number 8831
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 October 23 01:12 BST (UK) »
Contradictory that his relationship status is mentioned as single instead of widowed.

Do you actually have a marriage record for Patrick Green and Margaret? I couldn't see one.
In 1911 she was still married to Docherty, and he was very much alive.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 October 23 01:21 BST (UK) »
Neale

Yes I was aware about him joining the military, I’ve got the original record  :)

Patrick and Margaret Docherty (she reverted to Rooney) get married in Jul-Aug-Sep 1911 in Morpeth. Volume 10b Page 805. A few months after the census was taken.
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 October 23 01:37 BST (UK) »
Interesting. I wonder if Docherty knew she married again, or Green knew that she was already married.
I would think that Green and Docherty may have known each other, being similar ages, from the same place, and both miners.

Docherty's military pension (1916) does not list his two children with Margaret as dependents - no mention of them. He does list a son named Patrick Docherty - maybe a child from an earlier relationship (after all he was about 15 years older than Margaret).

ADDED
I wonder if the move to marry Patrick Green was made possible because her father died in May 1911? 

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 October 23 01:54 BST (UK) »
Yes it is quite a messy situation. I think Green was aware of the first marriage  as his military records list Docherty’s children as his step-children (“widowed with 3 children”). I always assumed Docherty had passed away.

Docherty and Green both lived on Newlands Rows at some point in time, so perhaps they did.

I haven’t been able to locate Docherty’s military record yet, could you point me in the direction of it?
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 October 23 02:04 BST (UK) »

I wonder if the move to marry Patrick Green was made possible because her father died in May 1911?

I always wondered this.

There was also something else that made me think…I found a birth for a Francis Green, Jun 1912, maiden name Conroy. His death record stated residence as Bedlington Bank Top, which is where Green lived at the time. A left field theory, but I wondered if he was possibly the illegitimate child of Green and Ellen Conroy (Margaret’s mother). She would have been widowed at the time. Only the birth certificate will show.
Carter (Yorkshire)