Author Topic: Newspaper Lookup help  (Read 230 times)

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
Newspaper Lookup help
« on: Saturday 21 October 23 20:50 BST (UK) »
Randomly today I found out my Dad had been naughty during his youth and it made the local paper!! I am joined up to findmypast but only as a free member. However they mentioned in an email that I had some family mentions in newspapers! Indeed my dad is mentioned in an article on 15 September 1967 in the
Spalding Guardian, based in Spalding, Lincolnshire. I think he got in trouble for some fisty cuffs and I never knew a thing about it!  Does anyone have fuller access who could tell me more? I was having a break from family research so don't want to buy a subscription for an article or two

The link I have is:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/image-viewer?issue=BL%2F0004052%2F19670915&page=20&article=309&stringtohighlight=fouldes

Be lovely to find out more! It was way before he met my Mum, so I can't ask her (and she hated my Dad!) and my Dad himself passed away in 2020.

Thanks all
MJ

PS There's also an interesting article about, I assume my Grandad, not getting A turkey!  All I can see is “It was unfortunate that Mr Fouldes did not get his turkey,”
This was on 02 January 1973
In the Lincolnshire Free Press, Spalding, Lincolnshire.
Link: https://www.findmypast.co.uk/image-viewer?issue=BL%2F0004965%2F19730102&page=15&article=261&stringtohighlight=fouldes
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper Lookup help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 October 23 21:49 BST (UK) »
You can just purchase the individual records as below.
Click on the newspaper image, click upgrade or pay to view, scroll down to commitment shy to find the price. The example is same date and paper.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 October 23 03:27 BST (UK) »
The latter article that you believe is your grandfather.

Paraphrased
Spokesman for the Post Office in Peterborough, large mail order of turkeys from a Norfolk producer
had been processed..... but considering the volume handled by the parcels department their record had been good. "It is unfortunate that Mr. Fouldes did not get his turkey"

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 October 23 03:37 BST (UK) »
The one you believe is your father.
David John Fouldes age 26 of Rotten Row, found guilty of assault and occasioning actual bodily harm.

Many witnesses against him, all said he was in a car with three others he jumped out and beat up Mr. Leslie Alfred Wilson who had exited a telephone booth and beat him up and kicking him in the head.
The victim had a broken nose and black eyes and was treated for his injuries at hospital. Two others in the care denied they were riding around looking for trouble.

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 October 23 07:30 BST (UK) »
You can just purchase the individual records as below.
Click on the newspaper image, click upgrade or pay to view, scroll down to commitment shy to find the price. The example is same date and paper.

Thank you for that! It was only 50p to purchase a copy so that's what I did! Very interesting to read! I guess he never mentioned it as it was probably a very embarrassing incident of a hot headed young man!

Thanks all
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!